Employment Separation Certificates for employers

Employment Separation Certificates (ESC) provide important information that allows us to ensure that we pay the right people the right amount and from the correct date.

Sometimes you may be asked to complete an ESC in circumstances other than termination of employment—for example, following a decrease in working hours or a change from full-time to casual work. In these situations, you can amend the form to reflect the circumstances. For instance, you may wish to change the question 'was employment terminated due to', to 'employment has changed because'. You can use the 'Reason' box to provide additional information clarifying the change of circumstances.

Employer’s role

The department or a former employee may ask you to complete an ESC. You will need, within 14 days, to complete the ESC and then:

  • hand it back to the former employee or
  • forward it directly to the National Business Gateway, fax number 132 115.

You can provide the requested information on an Employment Separation Certificate or in a letter on your business letterhead. The employer or a pay officer who has the employer's authorisation to provide and verify this information should sign the ESC.  

The information you provide on the ESC is confidential. We cannot currently accept the return of this form, or any other confidential information, via the internet.

We recommend that you keep a copy of the ESC for your own records.

How to get copies of the Employment Separation Certificate

To get copies of the Employment Separation Certificate, you can:

Freedom of Information (FOI) and the ESC

All the information contained in, or attached to, the ESC may be subject to release under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 to any person(s) (including those named in either the reports or its attachments).

If you want any of this information treated in confidence, please attach a statement indicating which information, and give your reasons. This will be considered if a request is made under the FOI Act.