National Graduate Program
Applications for our National Graduate Program 2015 intake have closed. Thank you to everyone who applied. Successful applicants will be invited to participate in the next stage of the recruitment process via email.
Read more about the National Graduate Program recruitment process
About our National Graduate Program
We offer university graduates an opportunity to start their career in one of the biggest and most diverse government departments providing services to most Australians.
As one of our graduates you will help to design, develop and provide social and health related services, policies and programs to most Australians, while contributing to our strategic priorities and to the Australian Government’s agenda.
The NGP offers you:
- a 10 month program
- specialised on the job training
- an accredited learning opportunity to gain a Diploma of Government
- the support of a Senior Executive Service Mentor to guide you as you develop your career
- a previous graduate buddy to offer advice about how to make the most of the program and to support you as you settle in
- exposure to diverse Australian communities and the opportunity to personally make a difference
- an opportunity to work for 1 of the largest departments in the Australian Public Service with around 34,000 staff
- specific graduate events and activities
- a dedicated team and coordinator to support you throughout the NGP
On successful completion of the NGP you will receive:
- automatic advancement to the APS5 classification level
- continued access to a wide range of employee benefits, including 23 days annual leave, flexible working hours and excellent superannuation benefits
- the knowledge and skills to position you for a senior role with us, where you will help to deliver over $149.4 billion in payments every year
- an amazing and rewarding experience that will stay with you forever
We are looking for enthusiastic, highly qualified individuals who have strong analytical and communication skills. We want graduates who have a specific interest in the work we do and a desire to improve the services we offer to Australians.
The NGP accepts all academic disciplines in our Generalist pathway and relevant degrees for allied health, communication, finance, human resources, information and communication technology, and law for our Professional pathway. Our program offers you impressive opportunities to a fulfilling career with us.
Meet our previous graduates and learn more about the experience you could have in our program.
Watch Lisa, Naomi, Jaycob, Joumana and David who, since graduating from our program, have worked with us in a variety of positions, including a Senior Media Advisor, Principal Legal Officer, Directors and Executive Officers.
You can also find out more about the program and us by watching our videos on our dedicated YouTube channel.
We are participating in the Australian Public Service pilot of the RecruitAbility scheme. Our 2015 graduate applications are part of this scheme. The initiative is to support the employment of people with disability.
Read more about RecruitAbility and the opportunities we offer for people with disability.