National Graduate Program
Applications for the National Graduate Program are currently closed
The recruitment process for the January 2014 intake of graduates has now been finalised. Please check back in early 2014 for updates on our next recruitment round.
When you apply for our National Graduate Program you are applying to be part of something impressive.
We offer university graduates an opportunity to start their career in the biggest and most diverse government employer providing services to all Australians.
As one of our graduates you will help to design, develop and provide social and health related services, policies and programs to all Australians, while contributing to both the department’s strategic priorities and to the Australian Government’s agenda.
The National Graduate Program (NGP) offers you:
- a 10 month program
- specialist on-the-job training
- accredited learning opportunity to gain a Diploma of Government, with specialisation modules available
- the support of a Senior Executive Service Mentor to guide you as you develop your career pathway
- a previous graduate buddy to offer support as you settle in and provide advice on how to make the most of the program
- exposure to diverse Australian communities and the opportunity to personally make a difference
- an opportunity to work for the largest department in the Australian Public Service with around 36,000 staff
- graduate specific events and activities
- a dedicated team to support you throughout the NGP
On successful completion of the NGP, you will receive:
- automatic advancement to the APS5 classification level
- continued access to a wide range of employee benefits including 23 days annual leave, flexible working hours and excellent superannuation benefits
- the knowledge and skills to position you for a senior role with us, where you will help to deliver over $149.4 billion in payments every year
- a unique and rewarding experience that will stay with you forever
We are looking for enthusiastic, highly qualified individuals who have strong analytical and communication skills, a specific interest in the work we do and a desire to improve the services we offer to Australians.
The NGP accepts all academic disciplines in our Generalist pathway and relevant degrees for allied health, communication, finance, human resources, information and communication technology and legal disciplines for our Professional pathway. Our program offers you amazing opportunities and can put you on a pathway to a fulfilling career with us.
The National Graduate Program experience
Want to know more about the NGP experience and what you could expect in your 10 months? Connect with our past and present graduates to learn more about their experiences.
Read about our graduates on our meet our graduate page.
Watch Lisa, Naomi, Jaycob, Joumana and David who, since graduating from the graduate program, now work with us in a variety of positions, including a Senior Media Advisor, Principal Legal Officer, Directors and Executive Officers.
You can also find out more about the NGP and the department by watching our videos on our dedicated YouTube channel.
If you have any questions about the NGP, you have an entire team of people who can help you.