Indigenous Cadetship Program
The Department of Human Services Indigenous Cadetship program supports the education and professional development of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians. As cadets complete their study they are offered a position with the department.
Cadetships are offered annually and are open to full-time tertiary students who are undertaking a course relevant to the department.
To be eligible to apply for an Indigenous Cadetship applicants must be:
- an Australian citizen
- of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and identify as such
- accepted by an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community
- studying an undergraduate degree at an approved Australian tertiary institution
- studying full-time and have successfully completed the first year of the degree
- studying internally
Cadets must be studying a field relevant to the department, such as:
- Adult Education
- Cultural Awareness
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Legal Studies
- Management (excluding Small Business Management)
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Public Admin
- Public Relations
- Social Studies
- Social Policy
- Social Work
How to apply
Applicants need to register on the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations website, by April each year. Applications are then available from the Australian Public Service Commission from May each year.
What the Cadetship provides
The program is designed to support Cadets with the development of specialist skills and assist them to build a career within the department.
A Cadetship can offer:
- a salary while Cadets complete their study
- books and an Equipment Allowance to help with the costs of study
- the chance to avoid having to pay a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) debt as the department pays your tuition fees
- practical work experience to help prepare for a successful future career
- an exciting future as an ongoing employee in the one of Australia’s largest and most innovative organisations
Cadets are required to work in the Department during the mid-year and end-of-year university breaks.
Satisfactory progress towards the successful completion of the cadet’s degree is an ongoing requirement of the cadetship.
If you would like to speak to someone regarding the Indigenous Cadetship Program, please contact the Indigenous Development Team at:
- Phone (02) 6298 6001