Local Solutions Fund
Local Solutions Fund successful applicants announced. See which projects were funded in each Local Government Area.
The Local Solutions Fund provides funding for innovative and creative solutions to increase social and economic participation in the Better Futures Local Solutions communities.
Interested parties can submit expressions of interest for projects that:
- reduce poverty and disadvantage through targeted and community-based approaches that improve opportunities for children, educational attainment, workforce participation and social participation
- reduce service gaps and improve service coordination
- support opportunities for different levels of government, community groups, businesses and individuals to create coordinated and sustainable responses to related local issues and needs
- reduce risk factors associated with teenage pregnancy and parenthood, youth unemployment and vulnerable children.
Selection criteria and eligibility
Selection criteria for the Local Solutions Fund can be found in the Local Solutions Fund Grants Program Guidelines. Only not-for-profit entities with an Australian Business Number or Australian Company Number are eligible to apply for Local Solutions Fund grants.
An eligible not-for-profit entity may be:
- an incorporated association, incorporated cooperative or company limited by guarantee
- a non-profit Indigenous corporation
- a non-profit organisation established by a specific piece of Commonwealth or state/territory legislation (for example many public benevolent institutions, churches, universities and unions).
The Local Solutions Fund grants application process is managed by Local Advisory Groups in the identified Local Government Areas with support from the Community Action Leader and Government Action Leader.
A two-stage selection process is used to determine Local Solutions Fund projects. The first stage is an expression of interest process to prioritise eligible projects. Expressions of interest are assessed against the key objectives listed in the Better Futures, Local Solutions Grants Program Guidelines.
Expressions of interest will be considered by the Local Advisory Group who will invite suitable projects and providers to submit a full application under stage two.
Expressions of interest and full applications are assessed against the selection criteria listed in the Better Futures, Local Solutions Grants Program Guidelines and the Local Advisory Group priorities.
Before submitting an expression of interest it is important that you speak with your Community or Government Action Leader and familiarise yourself with your Local Advisory Group strategic plan and priorities. Contact details, strategic plans and priorities are available on the following community webpages.
- Bankstown, New South Wales
- Shellharbour, New South Wales
- Wyong, New South Wales
- Hume, Victoria
- Greater Shepparton, Victoria
- Logan, Queensland
- Rockhampton, Queensland
- Playford, South Australia
- Kwinana, Western Australia
- Burnie, Tasmania
The Local Advisory Group provides the Australian Government Department of Human Services with a list of recommended applicants which the department submits to the Minister for Human Services, or a delegate, for approval.
How to apply
Interested parties should note that the expression of interest process for the second round of the Local Solutions Fund closed on Tuesday 4 December 2012. The Local Solutions Fund is currently not accepting applications. Future opportunities will be advised on this website.
- Part A – Program Overview [pdf, 372kb]
- Part B – Host Organisations [pdf, 256kb]
- Part C – Local Solutions Fund [pdf, 340kb]
- Local Solutions Fund - Expression of Interest Form
Approved Local Solutions Fund Projects
On 1 May 2013, the Minister for Human Services, Senator the Hon Jan McLucas, announced the successful projects from the second round of the Local Solutions Fund. Go to the community webpages to see which projects have been funded in each LGA.