Change of circumstances while receiving Carer Payment
You need to tell us if your circumstances change while you are receiving Carer Payment.
For example, you need to tell us if:
- the person or child you care for goes into respite care or hospital or
- the person or child you care for needs less care or
- the child you care for stops being your dependant or
- you move house or
- you or the person or the child you care for go on a holiday outside Australia or leave Australia permanently or
- you stop caring for the child or
- you start working or studying or
- your income changes.
You need to let us know about any changes within 14 days in case this affects your Carer Payment. If you don't tell us about changes, you may be overpaid, and you will probably have to pay the money back.
If you deliberately do not tell us about changes, you could be charged with fraud.
You may have to pay a recovery fee if you provide incorrect information about your employment income.