Eligibility for Dad and Partner Pay

If you are an eligible working dad or partner, you can get up to two weeks of government-funded pay based on the rate of the National Minimum Wage when you are on unpaid leave from work or are not working.

To be eligible for Dad and Partner Pay, you need to be one of the following:

  • biological father of the child
  • partner of the birth mother
  • adopting parent
  • partner of the adopting parent
  • parent in a surrogacy arrangement
  • partner of a parent in a surrogacy arrangement, or
  • same-sex partner of:
    • the birth mother,
    • biological father, or
    • the adopting parent

And you:

  • are able to meet residence requirements
  • provide care for a child born or adopted from 1 January 2013
  • had an individual adjusted taxable income of $150,000 or less in the financial year either before the date of your claim or the date your Dad and Partner Pay period starts (whichever is earlier)
  • meet the work test, which requires you to have worked for:
    • at least 10 of the 13 months before the date your Dad and Partner Pay period starts, and
    • at least 330 hours in that 10 month period (just over a day a week), with no more than an eight week gap between two consecutive working days, and
  • are on unpaid leave or not working during your Dad and Partner Pay period

Your Dad and Partner Pay period is the time you take off work and get Dad and Partner Pay for. This can be up to two weeks or it could be a shorter period. For example, you could claim Dad and Partner Pay for one week or even one day. Your Dad and Partner Pay period must be taken in one continuous block.

Your employer may choose to pay you a top-up payment to supplement your Dad and Partner Pay. For example, they may pay the difference between your Dad and Partner Pay and your normal wage. This will not affect your eligibility. A top-up payment is not considered paid leave for the purposes of Dad and Partner Pay eligibility.

If you are the birth mother, you are not eligible for Dad and Partner Pay but you may be eligible for Parental Leave Pay, Baby Bonus if your child is born before 1 March 2014, or the Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement if your child is born on or after 1 March 2014.

The birth mother does not need to receive Parental Leave Pay for the father or partner to get Dad and Partner Pay.

In the case of a multiple birth or adoption, for example twins, Dad and Partner Pay can only be paid once.

You may still be eligible for Dad and Partner Pay in the case of a stillbirth or infant death. For more information, read about Bereavement Payment or call us on 136 150.