Claiming Disability Support Pension

From 1 January 2015 there are changes to the Disability Support Pension claiming process for some new claims. Read more about changes to new claims.

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for Disability Support Pension before you start your claim.

Intent to claim

You should register an intent to claim for Disability Support Pension as soon as possible. This will help you get paid from the earliest possible date.

You can register your intent to claim by phone or in person at your nearest service centre.

Conditions for claiming

If you are claiming Disability Support Pension you should read information you need to know about your claim for Sickness Allowance, Disability Support Pension and Mobility Allowance booklet.

You can submit your claim forms using our online Document Lodgement Service, by post or in person. We will sight and record your documents, which may include copying, and return the originals to you.

Depending on your medical condition, you may also be required to provide specific medical evidence. Find out more about medical evidence and assessment.

Claim forms

Print and complete the claim forms that best suit your circumstances.

If you do not have access to a printer, you can pick up the form from your nearest service centre or call us on 132 717and we can send one to you.

If you want toForms
claim Disability Support PensionClaim for Disability Support Pension or Sickness Allowance
Income and assets
Medical report - Disability Support Pension
re-claim Disability Support Pension (having received it within the past year)Payment re-claim

Supporting forms and documentation

You may need to complete some additional forms. This will help us accurately assess your claim, based on your and your partner's personal circumstances. Please return these within 14 days or contact us for more time.

If youComplete this form
have evidence that you have actively participated in a Program of SupportParticipation in a program of Support
are self-employed or involved in a businessBusiness details
have involvement in a private companyPrivate company details
have involvement in a private trustPrivate trust details
currently pay rent where you liveRent Certificate
are permanently blindRequest for ophthalmologist/optometrist report
are a resident in Australia or another countryResidence in Australia and other countries
have separated from your partner since you last claimed a payment or serviceSeparation details
are under 18 and it is unreasonable for you to live at homeUnreasonable to live at home details
have received compensation or damagesCompensation and Damages
have recently left your employmentEmployment Separation Certificate
want to have another person to act on your behalfAuthorising a person or organisation to act on your behalf

Submit your claim

Return your completed forms, proof of identity, medical report, and any other documents we have asked for:

  • by post to the Department of Human Services, Disability Services, Reply Paid, 7806, Canberra BC ACT 2610, or
  • in person at your nearest service centre

Claim outcome

We will inform you whether your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Disability Support Pension, we will tell you when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.

You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.