Claiming Family Tax Benefit A and B
Before you start
Check if you are eligible for this payment before you start your claim.
It will help to have the following information handy before you fill out your claim form for Family Tax Benefit:
- your family's income details—for Family Tax Benefit instalments, combined estimates for the current financial year. For Family Tax Benefit for a past financial year, combined actual income for that year
- your passport number (if applicable)
- the date you first arrived in Australia if you were not born in Australia
- details of periods you or your child were outside Australia (if applicable)
- your partner's residence details
- details about your child—name, date of birth, details of previous carer if applicable, details of shared-care arrangements if applicable, details of child support received if applicable, and proof of birth or entry into care if not already established
- your bank account details—the account must be in your name. A joint account is acceptable. It cannot be in a child's name unless you are the signatory or trustee
- tax file numbers for you and your partner
The claim form you use depends on the payment option you choose.
You will need to lodge a Claim for Paid Parental Leave and Family Assistance form online or download a copy, estimate your income and later lodge tax returns and have the Australian Taxation Office confirm your income for you and your partner, or tell us that you are not required to lodge a return.
An annual payment
You will need to lodge a Claim for an annual lump-sum payment of Family Tax Benefit for the 2013–14 financial year form online or download a copy. Lodge tax returns and have the Australian Taxation Office confirm your income for you and your partner, or tell us that you are not required to lodge a return. You must keep accurate records when claiming Family Tax Benefit as a lump sum. You should keep records about changes to shared-care arrangements and changes in your personal circumstances.
Our online accounts are a secure, convenient and easy way to start a claim for Family Tax Benefit. Once you have completed your claim online, bring the supporting documents requested on the claim form to a service centre within 14 days.
If you do not have a Centrelink online account
If you have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) then you can complete your registration now.
If you do not have a CRN you will receive a Customer Access Number (CAN) to get you started.
You can make a claim for Family Tax Benefit now by completing a Claim for Paid Parental Leave and Family Assistance form or a Claim for an annual lump-sum payment of Family Tax Benefit for the 2013–14 financial year form and bringing it to a service centre with your proof of identity and required supporting documents. We will need these documents before we can finalise your claim.
If you do not have access to a printer, you can pick up the form from your nearest service centre or call us on 136 150 and we can send it to you.
You will need to provide proof of the birth of the child (if not already established), your income details, and any other documents we require with your claim.
You can claim Family Tax Benefit as early as 3 months before your child is born or enters your care.
If you begin your claim online, you will need to provide us with your supporting documentation within 14 days.
If you are claiming in person, submit your Claim for Paid Parental Leave and Family Assistance form for fortnightly payments, or Claim for an annual lump-sum payment of Family Tax Benefit for the 2013–14 financial year form for an annual payment and supporting documentation to your nearest service centre. We will need these documents before we can finalise your claim.
We will inform you whether your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Family Tax Benefit, we will tell you when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.
You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.