Benefits of a Health Care Card
A Health Care Card entitles you to cheaper prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and to various concessions from the Australian Government. These could include:
- bulk billing for doctor’s appointments (this is your doctor’s decision)
- more refunds for medical expenses through the Medicare Safety Net
- assistance with hearing services through the Office of Hearing Services
- discounted mail redirection through Australia Post
Note: You may get some of these Australian Government concessions for a dependent child.
State and Territory Governments and local councils may offer concessions, such as:
- energy and electricity bills
- health-care costs, including ambulance and dental and eye care
- public-transport costs
Please check with your State and Territory Government regarding which concessions are available to Health Care Card holders. Concessional entitlements may vary between States and Territories.
Note: When using Medicare services, you need to present your Medicare card.