Help reporting your income

Report your income

Working out your reportable earnings

To work out your reportable earnings, divide the gross pay on your payslip by the number of hours you worked—this will give you your standard hourly pay rate. When you have this information, multiply the number of hours worked in your reporting period by your hourly pay rate to calculate how much you have earned at the standard rate.

If your hourly pay rate varies, you can still use the standard hourly rate to work out how much you have been paid.

Working out your income if you are not paid a standard rate

If you do overtime or other work that is paid at a different hourly rate, you need to include the following earnings as well:

  • work out your total gross earnings at the 'standard' hourly rate
  • work out your overtime or penalty earnings by calculating:
    • your hourly overtime rate of pay. You can find this out from your employer or pay office, and
    • how many overtime or penalty rate hours you worked in the Centrelink Reporting Period
  • multiply the number of overtime hours worked in the Centrelink Reporting Period by your hourly overtime rate, and
  • add this amount to the total gross earnings at your standard hourly rate

Keep a record of your overtime hours every time you work, rather than trying to remember them at the end of the fortnight.

To work out your total employment income:

Total gross earnings plus overtime and penalty earnings equals the income you report.

Fixed unit rate

If you are paid a fixed amount for each 'unit' of work completed, such as per item produced, you don't need to know how many hours you worked in the reporting period in order to work out how much you made—you just need to know how many units you produced in your reporting period.

Employment Diary

If you are receiving employment income, you can choose to use the Employment Diary located in your Centrelink online account, by selecting the ‘Report employment income’ tile. The diary allows you to enter and save your employment income during the reporting period. You will be shown a summary of what you have entered for the reporting period and have the option to import it directly into your report, on your reporting day.

Self employed

If some or all of your earnings are from self employment, contact us to find out how you should report these earnings.

Updating your reported income

If you tell us the wrong amount, you have to contact us as soon as possible to fix the mistake. This will ensure we pay you the right amount. Do not wait until your next reporting day to fix mistakes from previous reports.

You cannot use self service to change an amount you have already reported.

Someone to deal with us on your behalf

If your partner also gets a Centrelink payment, they might be able to report for both of you. If they don't receive a Centrelink payment, they can report on your behalf if you provide consent. You may also be able to have another person such as a family member, friend or a third party, like an institution, contact us on your behalf.

Read more about getting someone to deal with us on your behalf.

Reporting for multiple jobs

If you have more than 1 job during your reporting period, you must report your earnings from each job. You can keep track of your income by using a separate earnings worksheet for each employer.

Reporting your leave payments

If you go on temporary leave from your work, you need to let us know about any money you earn from both leave and hours worked in the same reporting period. If we haven’t told you to report on a specific day, then you have got 14 days to tell us about leave earned at a different rate to your normal wages.

If you are paid out accrued leave from your current employer, but do not take it as a leave of absence, you need to let us know. This is treated differently to other leave.

Reporting redundancy payments

If you get a severance or redundancy payment from your employer when you leave your job, you have to tell us as you may be subject to an Income Maintenance Period.

An Income Maintenance Period is a period of time where leave or redundancy payments received by you or your partner are treated as income. This means your payment might be reduced or stopped for a while, depending on how much you were paid and when it was paid for.

Reporting your superannuation contributions

We'll include any reportable contributions to superannuation as income. These contributions will be included in the income used to work out your payment.

Read more about assessable income.