Change of circumstances for Newstart Allowance

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you are receiving a payment. For example if:

  • your personal circumstances change
  • you change your address
  • your income changes
  • you do not have to lodge a tax return
  • your care arrangements change, or
  • your work or study load changes

If you do not tell us about the changes within 14 days, your payment may be affected. You may be overpaid and you may have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately do not tell us about changes, you could be charged with fraud. A recovery fee may be imposed if you give us incorrect information about your employment income.

You can continue getting Newstart Allowance if you get sick or have an accident and are temporarily unable to work. You will need to get a medical certificate from your doctor that states you are unfit to work at least 8 hours a week.

You will not have to meet the Mutual Obligation Requirements while you are unfit for work and have a medical certificate.

You may need to report this on a regular basis.

How to report your changes

You can report changes to your circumstances using our self service options.

If you are moving

Use the Moving to an Area of Lower Employment Prospects (MALEP) Test to find out the employment prospects of the area you are moving to. Your payment could be affected if you choose to move to an area with significantly lower employment prospects without a good reason.

This information was printed from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.