Reporting statements for Newstart Allowance
To keep receiving Newstart Allowance, you need to report to us, usually each fortnight, to make sure you are still eligible and getting paid the right amount.
In most cases, you need to report before you can be paid. You need to report on the date shown on your Reporting Statement or on the next working day. Your payments are paid into your bank account each fortnight.
What to report
You need to report your:
- income from employment
- Job-search activities
- approved activities
- changes in circumstances
How to report
You can report your details to us in one of the following ways:
- through Centrelink Online Services – make sure you report by 5.00pm on your reporting date to avoid any delays in your payment
- on the Express Plus mobile apps
- call 13 EARN (133 276) on your reporting day, between 8.00am and 5.00pm using your CAN and Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- visit your nearest Centrelink Service Centre to use one of our self service computers, or to speak with a Customer Service Officer
If you are calling to report and do not have a PIN, you can call 136 240 to register and get one. You will need to answer some questions about your identity and your record for Centrelink payments or services. You will also need your Customer Reference Number (CRN). If you provide enough information, you will then be given a 6-digit number as your new PIN.
We may let you post your Reporting Statement if:
- you live too far away from a Centrelink Service Centre and do not have access to self service reporting
- transport costs are too high
- you are enrolled in a training course
- you are sick
You should get approval from us before sending your form via post, and this may impact the date you receive your allowance.
Newstart Allowance is usually adjusted on 20 March and 20 September each year, in line with the Consumer Price Index, which measures increases in the cost of living.
Your Newstart Allowance is reviewed periodically. When this happens, we will advise you of a review appointment. It is important that you attend these appointments.