Claiming Parental Leave Pay
Before you start
Check if you are eligible for this payment before you start your claim.
Talk to your employer
You should talk to your employer at least 10 weeks before your child's due date, or date of adoption. Arrange your leave and discuss your intention to claim Parental Leave Pay. This will allow your employer time to prepare and register their business for the scheme. They can read more about Paid Parental Leave scheme for employers.
When you claim, you will need to tell us your employer's Australian Business Number and contact details. If we don't have this information it could delay your claim.
Time limits on claiming
You can start your claim for Parental Leave Pay up to 3 months before your child’s expected date of birth or adoption. You should claim early so we can help your employer get ready to provide your payments.
You may submit a claim up to 52 weeks after your child’s birth or adoption. However, to receive the maximum 18 weeks of Parental Leave Pay, you need to submit your claim within 34 weeks of your child’s birth or adoption.
Choose when you want your payment period to start
When you submit your claim, you need to tell us when you would like your Paid Parental Leave period to start. The start date is not the date your payment will start, it is the start of your entitlement period. Your Paid Parental Leave period can start from the day your child is born or adopted, or a later date. It cannot start before the birth or adoption of your child.
If you submit your claim within 28 days of your child's birth or adoption, you may request that your Paid Parental Leave period starts from your child’s date of birth or entry into care, or later.
If you submit your claim more than 28 days after your child's birth or adoption, you cannot receive Parental Leave Pay for a period before your claim was submitted.
Your Parental Leave Pay must be fully paid within 52 weeks from the date of birth or adoption. To receive the full 18 weeks of Parental Leave Pay, you will need to submit your claim, and choose a Paid Parental Leave period start date that is within 34 weeks of your child's birth or adoption.
For example, if you apply for your Paid Parental Leave period to start at 35 weeks, you can receive the payment for a maximum of 17 weeks; if you apply for it to start at 40 weeks, you can receive the payment for a maximum of 12 weeks, and so on.
Parental Leave Pay is paid from your start date for 18 weeks. This will be reduced if you:
- return to work
- are no longer the primary carer of your child
- leave Australia and no longer meet residence requirements
- claim or choose a start date that is more than 34 weeks after your child is born or enters your care
Information you need for your claim
You will need the following information to complete your claim:
- your income details, but not your partners, for the financial year either before the date of your claim or the date the child entered your care whichever is earlier
- your passport number, if you have a passport
- if you were not born in Australia, the date you first arrived
- details of periods since 1994 that you were outside Australia
- details of your work over the last 13 months, including hours worked and unpaid leave taken
- your employer's Australian Business Number and contact details
- your child's details such as name, date of birth, details of previous carer – this is not needed for claims made before your child comes into your care
- your bank account details – you must be named on the account. A joint account is acceptable. It cannot be in the child's name unless you are the signatory or trustee
- your Tax File Number
- the date you would like your Paid Parental Leave period to start
At the end of the claim, we will tell you if you need to provide evidence of the information you have provided.
You can start your claim as early as 3 months before your child is born or adopted. You should claim early so we can help your employer get ready to provide your payments. You need to claim the payment online using your Centrelink online account through myGov.
If you do not have a Centrelink online account
If you have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) you can complete your registration now.
If you do not have a CRN you will receive a Customer Access Number (CAN) to get you started.
Proof of birth or adoption
You need to give us proof of birth or adoption as soon as possible so we can finalise your claim. If you give us proof of birth or adoption more than 28 days after your child is born or comes into your care, we cannot backdate your payment to your requested start date. You have several options for giving us proof of birth or adoption.
You need to register, or apply to register, your baby’s birth with the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory as well.
Your claim for Parental Leave Pay will not be processed and finalised until we receive proof of birth, or entry into care for adoption, and any other requested documents. We will let you know whether your claim is successful.
If your employer is delivering the payment, they will provide it in your regular pay cycle. If we are delivering the payment, it will be paid in fortnightly instalments.
You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.