Claiming Parenting Payment

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for this payment before you start your claim.

Intent to claim

You should register an intent to claim for Parenting Payment. This will help you get your payments from the earliest possible date.

To register an intent to claim you can:

  • call us on 136 150
  • visit your nearest service centre, or
  • send us a secure online message. One of our Customer Service Officers will then contact you to start the claiming process

Depending on how you have registered your intent to claim, we may need to contact you to begin the claim process.

If you are applying for Parenting Payment Partnered, your partner may have to complete a claim form as well.

Supporting documentation

You may need to complete some additional forms to help us assess your claim accurately, based on you and your partner’s personal circumstances. If we ask you to provide other documents and forms, you will need to submit these within 14 days. The sooner we receive your documents, the sooner we can work out your entitlement.

If you have worked in the last 12 months, we will also ask you for an Employment Separation Certificate form, which needs to be filled by your employer. We can help you get this from your ex-employer if you are having trouble obtaining it.

Complete a claim

We will advise you of the best way to complete your claim. This may be by a booked appointment or a walk-in appointment, depending on the location of your nearest service centre.

Claim outcome

We will tell you whether your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Parenting Payment, we will tell you when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.

You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.