Claiming Sickness Allowance

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for Sickness Allowance before you start your claim.

Claiming options

You should register an intent to claim for Sickness Allowance. This will help you get paid from the earliest possible date.

You can claim Sickness Allowance by form.

Print and complete the claim form that best suits your circumstances.

If you do not have access to a printer, you can pick up the form from your nearest service centre or call us on 132 717 and we can send one to you.

If you want toComplete this form
Claim Sickness AllowanceClaim for Disability Support Pension or Sickness Allowance
Income and assets
Re-claim Sickness Allowance (having received it within the past year)Payment re-claim

Supporting forms

You may need to complete some extra forms. This will help us to accurately assess your claim, based on your and your partner's individual circumstances.

If you:Complete this form
Are self-employed or involved in a businessBusiness details
Have involvement in a private companyPrivate company details
Have involvement in a private trustPrivate trust details
Currently pay rent where you liveRent Certificate
Are a resident in Australia or another countryResidency in Australia and other countries
Have separated from your partner since you last claimed a payment or serviceSeparation details
Have recently left your employmentEmployment Separation Certificate

Supporting documentation

You will need to provide other documentation to support your claim, such as proof of identity and medical certificate.

Submitting your claim

Return your completed forms, proof of identity, medical certificate, and any other documents we have asked for, to your nearest service centre or by post.

Claim outcome

We will inform you whether your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Sickness Allowance, we will tell you when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.

You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.