Eligibility for the Student Start-up Scholarship
Find out whether you are eligible for the Student Start-up Scholarship.
To be eligible for the Student Start-up Scholarship you must be:
- studying full-time in an approved scholarship course
- receiving ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Austudy, or Youth Allowance as a full-time student
- receiving at least $1 of Youth Allowance or Austudy basic benefit or ABSTUDY Living Allowance in the fortnight in which a scholarship is payable (i.e. you must be receiving more than just the Pharmaceutical Allowance and Rent Assistance component of Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY).
Where you are not eligible
You will not get this scholarship if:
- you also receive, or qualify for, a Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship or a Student Start-up Scholarship paid by the Department of Veterans' Affairs or
- you do not start (or resume) full-time study within 35 days of qualifying for the scholarship or
- you do not undertake full-time study for at least 35 days after qualifying for the scholarship or
- there are less than 35 days left in the relevant period.
In most cases, the relevant periods for the Student Start-up Scholarship are:
- 1 January to 30 June.
- 1 July to 31 December.
The relevant period for an individual student may be shorter, depending on actual study dates and when the student first qualifies for ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Austudy, or Youth Allowance as a full-time student.