Claiming Youth Allowance

Before you start

Check if you are eligible for this payment before you start your claim.

If you are a student, job seeker or Australian Apprentice, you need to submit your claim for Youth Allowance online - it is quick and easy.

Claim early

If you are studying or planning to study full time, or undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship, you can submit your claim up to 13 weeks before you start your course or apprenticeship. We encourage you to submit your claim as early as possible, so it can be assessed and your payment can start from the day you first become eligible.

Begin your claim

To claim Youth Allowance as a job seeker online, you need an active Centrelink online account.

If you have never been a Centrelink customer before, you will not have a record with us. If this is the case and you are claiming Youth Allowance as a job seeker, you need to come into a service centre to register. You will need to bring proof of identity documents with you.

Until you register to become a customer and have an active Centrelink Online Account, you won’t be able to make a Youth Allowance as a job seeker online claim.

If you have received a payment or concession from Centrelink in the past, you will have an existing Centrelink record. You may be able to access your existing Centrelink Online Account and submit a claim without coming into a service centre.


Our online accounts are a secure, convenient and easy way to start a claim for Youth Allowance. Once you have completed your claim online, bring the supporting documents requested on the claim form to a service centre within 14 days.

If you already have a Centrelink online account

You can log on to your Centrelink online account using your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password. Select Apply for a Payment then Make a Claim from the menu to start your claim.

myGovLog on

× Close
Select an account

If you do not have a Centrelink online account

If you have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) then you can complete your registration now.

If you do not have a CRN you will receive a Customer Access Number (CAN) to get you started.


Unable to claim online

If there are reasons you cannot claim online, for example you do not have internet access, you can contact us.

Submit your claim

During the claim process, there’ll be questions for you to answer about your circumstances. This will include personal information about yourself, your partner (if you have one), as well as details about your income and assets.

If you do not meet any of the independence criteria you will be deemed dependent. Your parent’s income and assets may impact on your eligibility and rate of payment. We will tell you if this information is needed to complete your claim.

You will also need to have your bank account and tax file number handy as you will be required to enter these details as part of your claim.

If you wish to claim Youth Allowance as an independent on the basis of being 22 years old or over, you will need to start your online claim when you turn 22 and not earlier. If you submit your claim before you turn 22, we will assess you as a dependent person unless you can demonstrate that you meet another independence criterion.

If you are claiming online, you will submit your claim electronically at the end of the process.

Book an appointment

If you are a Youth Allowance job seeker customer claiming online, you will need to make an online booking for an appointment to assess your participation requirements. You will be provided with instructions to book this appointment once your claim has been submitted. We will call you at the time and date that you select. This appointment must be booked within 14 days of submitting your claim.

Supporting forms and documentation

You may need to complete some additional forms to help us assess your claim accurately, based on you (and your partner’s) personal circumstances.

You can electronically upload some of these supporting documents using our Document Lodgement Service. However, you won’t be able to submit your proof of identity documents this way, you’ll need to take the original documents into your nearest service centre.

If we ask you to provide other documents and forms, you will need to submit these via our Document Lodgement Service, within 14 days. The sooner we receive your documents, the sooner we can work out your payment.

If you are a Youth Allowance job seeker customer and have worked in the last 12 months, we will also ask you for an Employment Separation Certificate form[6], which needs to be filled out by your employer.

Claim outcome

We will tell you whether your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Youth Allowance, we will let you know when your payment will start and how much you will get paid.