Express Plus Centrelink mobile apps troubleshooting guide
Our troubleshooting guide will help to answer any questions you have about the following Express Plus mobile apps:
- Express Plus Families - for customers receiving family assistance (such as Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit or Child Care Rebate).
- Express Plus Job Seekers - for job seekers who are receiving Newstart Allowance, Youth Allowance or Parenting Payment (with participation requirements).
- Express Plus Seniors - for customers receiving Age Pension.
- Express Plus Students - for students and Australian Apprentices receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy, Pensioner Education Supplement, ABSTUDY or ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement.
Express Plus can be downloaded for free from the App Store or Google Play.
Important: If your payment type does not fit into those outlined for these apps, you can download Express Plus Families and the menu items will automatically be tailored to your profile when you log in to the app.
Compatible mobile devices
Express Plus mobile apps are available for:
- iPhone®, iPod touch® (3rd generation and above), iPad® (2 and above) with a minimum operating system of IOS5.0 and
- Android devices (minimum operating system Android 2.3.3).
Accessing Express Plus and creating a PIN
To access Express Plus, you will need to:
- register for Centrelink Online Services (level 3 access )
- download the relevant Express Plus app from the App Store or Google Play
- enter your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password, and
- answer the secret question to set up your PIN.
If you are registered for Centrelink Express and not Centrelink Online Services you will be unable to use the app. To use the app you will need to logon to Centrelink Online Services and follow the prompts to set up your Secret Questions and Answers.
If you would like to receive reminders to report you need to ensure the notification setting on your phone is on.
We have received a number of enquiries regarding the permissions for this app. These permissions are required to allow the app to work effectively with your device. We do not use this information for departmental purposes.
Below is a short description of why we require permissions.
Required for the office locator and directions. We do not store your whereabouts.
Your Personal Information
Required to add appointments to your calendar. We do not retrieve any details from your calendar.
Required to allow you to contact us while using the app. We do not log your calls.
Required to allow you capture and upload a document.
Logging off on your device
When logging off on your device, you will be presented with the message ‘You have successfully logged out’. It is only at this point that you have logged out of system.
Alternatively should your session remain inactive for an extended period the application will automatically log you out.
Error E001 to E007 Message – iOS Apple and Android devices
Some customers using iOS (Apple) or Android versions of all the apps are receiving error messages “E001”, “E002”, “E0003”, “E004”, “E005”, “E006” or “E007”.
To help establish why errors 'E001' to 'E007' are occurring, please check the following and if required, contact us. Be ready to provide the following information:
- Note the error number and have your Customer Access Number (CAN) ready
- Have you set your phone to a foreign language?
- Does your password contain any special characters?
- Have you been able to use the Express Plus application in the past?
- How many Express Plus applications do you have installed on your device?
- Are you able to log on to the web with the same CAN and Password?
- When did you last log on to Online Services?
- Are you using 3G or WIFI?
If you own an iPhone, iPad or iPod touchCheck the following information:
- Version of IOS. This can be found by using the following path on the phone - Settings > General > About > - Version (example 5.1.1)
If your operating system is less than 5.0 please update to the current version.
If you own an Android device please check:
- Version 2.3.3
Express Plus will only work on 2.3.3 and above.
To overcome this issue, you will need to allow automatic updates of Express Plus on your device or alternately, download updates as they become available in the App Store and Google Play.
Black screen displaying when trying to access Express Plus app – Apple devices
Customers using an Apple device with an operating system of less than iOS 5.0 are receiving a black screen when they try to open the App on their device.
If you get this black screen you need to upgrade your device to the latest operating system version.
Using Express Plus on more than one device
You can’t use Express Plus on more than one device, you must nominate one device to use the app as it requires a device specific 4-digit pin to login. If you use the app on a new device you will need to setup a new PIN. If you are alternating between devices, you will need to set up a new PIN each time you use a new device.
Express Plus Lite
Express Plus Lite has been released for Apple iOS. You can download the app on compatible Apple devices to report earnings in Vietnamese, Chinese, Arabic or English on the go.
To use the app, you will have to download the app from the Apple App store, be registered for Centrelink Online Services (access level 3) and own a compatible Apple iOS device. To use the app, you need to log on with your Customer Access Number (CAN) and online services password. You will then be asked to set up a four digit Personal Identification Number (PIN).
The key features of the app are:
- report employment income (Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese or English)
- record daily earnings via the Timesheet Tool
- receive reporting reminders
- find your local service centre.
Using the ‘Capture and upload documents’ function
You can use this function to submit documents such as pay slips, bank balances or other personal documents that you may need to supply to Centrelink.
Using the ‘Capture and upload documents function’ to submit ‘structured’ documents may cause a delay in processing the information contained within these documents. This is due to the Express Plus apps not having the functionality to classify structured documents.
You cannot use this function to submit Proof of Identity (POI) documents. Original Proof of Identity documents must still be lodged in person at a service centre.
There has been an identified issue with the March 14 release of iOS platform where users are being notified that document could not be uploaded when trying to upload a document in the same session as their original PIN set up or PIN re-set.
Users should be advised once they have logged out of this initial session and then logged back in they will be able to upload documents successfully.
All iOS users will be required to update their version of the Express Plus Mobile App once the update containing the fixes has been released. Users will be notified of new update availability via the App store.
Statements – Payment Statement
You can use the ‘Payment Statement’ menu item to download your payment summary direct to your mobile device. Once downloaded to your device you can save it to the Vault, share with a third party or print via wireless network/printer.
Applying for an advance payment using Express Plus
Depending on your type of payment and circumstances, you may be able to apply for an advance payment.
Updating bank account details
You can now update your payment destination details, This is the account where you wish your payment to be delivered.
Changing your circumstances
You can change your address, accommodation details, email and phone number/numbers with Express Plus. This is done in the ‘My Profile’ section.
Multiple people using the app on a single device
Due to the security features of the Express Plus App. It can only be used by one person per device.
Security of Express Plus
The Express Plus apps are secure apps. To use Express Plus you need to use your CAN password and answer one of your secret questions to set up your PIN. Please do not give your PIN to anyone and do not write it down.
Access times for Express Plus
Express Plus can be accessed at any time that Online Services are available.
Data required to download Express Plus
To view current download size please refer to the AppStore and/or Google Play
Lost your phone and you have a new one
Ensure that you do not save your PIN on the device you are using – this will prevent your account from being accessed by someone else.
If you get a new device you will need to download the app again and set up a new PIN.
Currently there are no wireless network (wi-fi) hot spots in our offices.
Using Express Plus on your iPad or tablet device
Express Plus apps have been designed for use on devices such as iPhone, iPod touch or Android devices. To view the apps at the enlarged size for iPads, use the 'Zoom' function on your device to bring the app display to the full screen.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
Reset your PIN
- Touch ‘Reset PIN’ from the bottom left of the PIN prompt screen. You will receive a message: “Are you sure you want to reset your PIN?”
- Choose ‘Yes’ to this question. You will be taken to the title screen as though it is your first time using the app.
- Touch the ‘Start now’ button to take you to the ‘Terms and Conditions’ screen.
- Read the Terms and Conditions and then select the ‘I agree’ button, which takes you to the ‘Login’ screen.
- Provide your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password and touch the ‘Next’ button, which takes you to the ‘Secret questions and answers’ screen.
- Provide your answer to your corresponding secret question (as previously set up through your online registration) to take you to the ‘Setup 4 digit PIN’ screen.
- Enter a 4 digit PIN (this cannot be the same PIN as previously used). Repeat the same 4 digit PIN, which will take you to the main menu. You are now ready to use the app.