Centrelink Express Plus mobile apps troubleshooting guide
Our troubleshooting guide will help to answer any questions you have about the following Express Plus mobile apps:
- Express Plus Families-for customers receiving family assistance (such as Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit or Child Care Rebate)
- Express Plus Job Seekers-for job seekers receiving Newstart Allowance, Youth Allowance or Parenting Payment (with participation requirements)
- Express Plus Seniors-for customers receiving the Age Pension
- Express Plus Students-for students and Australian Apprentices receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy, Pensioner Education Supplement, ABSTUDY or ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement
- Express Plus Lite-for customers with reporting requirements who are eligible to report online and who wish to report in Arabic, Chinese or Vietnamese
If your payment type does not fit into those outlined above, you can download Express Plus Families and the menu items will automatically be tailored to your profile when you log in to the app.
Express Plus mobile apps can be downloaded for free from the App Store or Google Play.
Important: A new Express Plus Centrelink mobile app is available for Apple devices with iOS7+ downloaded. It combines the functions and tools you used on your previous app along with a new design and additional functions. The Express Plus Centrelink mobile app for Android is coming soon. If you use an Android device or have not downloaded iOS7+ to your Apple device, then you can continue to use the existing Express Plus mobile apps.
Compatible mobile devices
Express Plus mobile apps are available for:
- iPhone®, iPod touch® (3rd generation and above), iPad® (2 and above) (minimum operating system of iOS5.0), and
- Android devices (minimum operating system Android 2.3.3)
Accessing Express Plus and creating a Personal Identification Number (PIN)
To access Express Plus, you will need to:
- register for a Centrelink online account (Level 3 access)
- download the relevant Express Plus mobile app from the App Store or Google Play
- enter your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password, and
- answer the secret question to set up your PIN
If you are registered for Centrelink Express and do not have a Centrelink online account, you will not be able to use an Express Plus mobile app. To use an app, you will need to log on to your Centrelink online account and follow the prompts to set up your secret questions and answers.
If you would like to receive reporting reminders, you need to make sure the notification setting on your phone is on.
We have received a number of enquiries regarding the permissions for Express Plus mobile apps. These permissions are required to allow the apps to work effectively with your device. We do not use this information for departmental purposes.
Below is a short description of why we require permissions.
Required for the office locator and directions. We do not store your whereabouts.
Your Personal Information
Required to add appointments to your calendar. We do not retrieve any details from your calendar.
Required to allow you to contact us while using an app. We do not log your calls.
Required to allow you to capture and upload a document.
Logging out of your device
When logging out on your device, you will be presented with the message 'You have successfully logged out'. It is only at this point that you have logged out of system.
Alternatively should your session remain inactive for an extended period the application will automatically log you out.
‘This service is temporarily unavailable, please try again later’ error message
To see why this error has occurred, you can follow the instructions below.
- Check you are using an updated version of your operating system.
- If you own an iPhone®, iPod touch® or iPad®, Express Plus will only work on operating system iOS 5.0 and above (to find your version, go to Settings > General > About on your phone)
- If you own an Android device, Express Plus will only work on operating system 2.3.3 and above
You may wish to allow automatic updates of Express Plus on your device. Alternately, download updates as they become available in the App Store or Google Play.
- If you still receive the error message, contact us. Be ready to provide the following information.
- Your Customer Access Number (CAN)
- Have you set your phone to a foreign language?
- Does your password contain any special characters?
- Have you been able to use Express Plus in the past?
- How many Express Plus mobile apps are installed on your device?
- Are you able to log on to your Centrelink online account with the same CAN and password?
- When did you last log on to your Centrelink online account?
- Are you using 3G/4G or a wireless network (Wi-Fi)?
Black screen displaying when trying to access Express Plus – Apple devices
Customers using an Apple device with an operating system older than iOS 5.0 are receiving a black screen when they try to open the app on their device.
If you get this black screen, you need to upgrade your device to the latest operating system version. You can do this in the App Store or Google Play.
Using Express Plus on more than one device
You cannot use Express Plus on more than one device. You must nominate one device to use an app as it requires a device-specific four-digit PIN to log in. If you use the app on a new device, you will need to set up a new PIN. If you are alternating between devices, you will need to set up a new PIN each time you use a new device.
Express Plus Lite
Express Plus Lite has been released in the App Store. You can download the app on compatible Apple devices to report earnings in Arabic, Chinese or Vietnamese on the go.
The key features of the app are:
- report employment income in Arabic, Chinese or Vietnamese
- record daily earnings via the Timesheet Tool
- receive reporting reminders, and
- find your local service centre
To use the app, you will need to download it from the App Store, be registered for a Centrelink online account (Level 3 access) and own a compatible Apple iOS device. You will need to log on to your Centrelink online account with your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password. You will then be asked to set up a four-digit PIN.
Using the 'Capture and upload documents' function
You can use this function to submit documents such as pay slips, bank balances or other personal documents that you may need to supply to the department.
You cannot use this function to submit Proof of Identity (POI) documents. Original POI documents must be lodged in person at a service centre. This may include your birth certificate or Australian Driver’s Licence.
You can use the ‘Payment Statement’ menu item to download your payment summary directly to your mobile device. Once downloaded to your device, you can save it to the Vault, share it with a third party or print it via a wireless network/printer.
Applying for an advance payment
Depending on your type of payment and circumstances, you may be able to apply for an advance payment.
Updating bank account details
You can update your bank account details on Express Plus. This is the bank account where you wish your payments to be delivered.
Changing your circumstances
You can change your address, accommodation details, email address or phone number with Express Plus. This is done in the ‘My Profile’ section.
Multiple people using Express Plus on a single device
Due to the security features of Express Plus, each app can only be used by one person per device.
Express Plus security
The Express Plus mobile apps are secure apps. To use Express Plus, you need to use your CAN, password and answer one of your secret questions to set up your PIN. Please do not give your PIN to anyone and do not write it down.
Express Plus access times
Express Plus mobile apps are available any time Centrelink online accounts are available.
Data required to download Express Plus
To view current download size, refer to the App Store or Google Play.
Lost your phone and you have a new one
Make sure you do not save your PIN on the device you are using—this will prevent your account from being accessed by someone else.
If you get a new device, you will need to download the app again and set up a new PIN.
Currently there are no wireless network (wi-fi) hot spots in our service centres.
Using Express Plus on your iPad or tablet device
Express Plus mobile apps have been designed for use on devices such as iPhone®,
iPod touch®, iPad® and Android devices.
To view the apps at the enlarged size for iPads, use the 'Zoom' function on your device to bring the app display to the full screen.
When downloading the apps, you need to search under ‘phone apps’.
Reset your PIN
- Touch ‘Reset PIN’ from the bottom left of the PIN prompt screen. You will receive a message: ‘Are you sure you want to reset your PIN?’
- Press ‘Yes’ to this question. You will be taken to the title screen as though it were your first time using the app
- Press ‘Start now’ to take you to the ‘Terms and Conditions’ screen
- Read the Terms and Conditions and press ‘I agree’, which will take you to the ‘Login’ screen
- Provide your Customer Access Number (CAN) and password and press ‘Next’, which will take you to the ‘Secret questions and answers’ screen
- Provide your answer to your corresponding secret question (as previously set up through your online registration) to take you to the ‘Set up 4 digit PIN’ screen
- Enter a four-digit PIN (this cannot be the same PIN as previously used). You will be asked to confirm your PIN by re-entering the same four-digits. You will then be taken to the main menu. You are now ready to use the app
Apple, the Apple logo, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.