Language, Literacy and Numeracy Program
Language, literacy and numeracy training can help you improve your speaking, reading, writing or basic maths skills. The training aims to improve your chances of getting and keeping a job, as well as making your everyday life easier.
Eligibility for language, literacy and numeracy training
You may be eligible for the program if you are a registered as a job seeker with Centrelink and you are:
- between 15 and 64 years of age
- are not a full time student and
- satisfy income support and visa requirements
Holders of skilled migrant visas are currently not eligible for the training. Other visa conditions may also apply.
Contact us by calling or visiting a service centre to find out if you are eligible for this program.
Assessment and training
If you are eligible you will be referred to a contracted service provider for an initial assessment. A wide range of organisations have been contracted to provide assessment and training services, including private training providers and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions.
For carers and others who may have difficulty in attending training you can get assistance in your own home through distance education.
The training is:
- in small groups, in friendly and relaxing places with other people who face difficulties with reading, writing and numbers
- given by professional staff with experience in dealing with adult learners
- intended to make it easier for you to do things like fill in forms, write letters, prepare resumes and job applications
- developed to give you more confidence when looking for work
- 10 to 20 hours a week in blocks of 200 hours