Lodge a Medicare claim online
To lodge a Medicare claim online, you must be registered for Medicare Online Services and have your Medicare card and the doctor’s account for the items you want to claim.
Who you can make a claim for online
You can submit claims for anyone listed on your Medicare card. If you’ve registered your bank account details with us, your benefit will usually be paid into your account the next working day.
What you can claim online
Only some consultations can be claimed through Medicare Online Services. You can claim the following item numbers online:
- Item 3 – GP Consultation - Level 'A'
- Item 23 – GP Consultation - Level 'B'
- Item 36 – GP Consultation - Level 'C'
- Item 44 – GP Consultation - Level 'D'
- Item 53 – Other Medical Practitioner Standard Consultation
- Item 54 – Other Medical Practitioner Long Consultation
- Item 57 – Other Medical Practitioner Prolonged Consultation
- Item 5020 – GP Consultation - Level 'B' (after hours)
- Item 5060 – GP Consultation - Level 'D' (after hours)
- Item 5200 – Other Medical Practitioner Brief Consultation (after hours)
- Item 5203 – Other Medical Practitioner Standard Consultation (after hours)
- Item 5207 – Other Medical Practitioner Long Consultation (after hours)
- Item 5208 – Other Medical Practitioner Prolonged Consultation (after hours)
- Item 10951 – Diabetes Education Service
- Item 10952 – Audiology Health Service
- Item 10953 – Exercise Physiology Service
- Item 10954 – Dietetics Services
- Item 10956 – Mental Health Service
- Item 10958 – Occupational Therapy Health Service
- Item 10960 – Physiotherapy Health Service
- Item 10962 – Podiatry Health Service
- Item 10964 – Chiropractic Service
- Item 10966 – Osteopathy Health Service
- Item 10968 – Psychology Health Service
- Item 10970 – Speech Pathology Health Service.
Item numbers are one to five digits and will be listed on your doctor’s account
What you can't claim online
Although you may have a claim for an eligible item, you can't claim through Medicare Online if:
- the item is for a service provided to someone who is not on your Medicare card
- the service was provided more than two years ago
- the item is for a service provided for a hospital or approved day facility in-patient
- you have been bulk billed for the item
If you can't lodge your Medicare claim online, it can be lodged at a service centre, by post, or by calling 132 011.
There are daily and monthly claiming limits. You can claim a maximum of $250 per day or $550 per 30 days per Medicare card and bank account. The monthly limit is calculated as a 30-day rolling limit. If you exceed a claiming limit, your Medicare claim can still be lodged at a service centre, by post, or by calling 132 011.
If you have successfully lodged your claim and realise you have made a mistake call 132 011.