Proof of birth or adoption
You need to give us proof of birth or adoption before we can finalise your claim for some payments.
Proof of birth
When your baby is born, you will get a Parent Pack from your hospital or midwife. Inside, there will be a Newborn Child Declaration form. You can use this declaration to give us proof of birth.
We need proof of birth if you’re claiming:
- Family Tax Benefit
- Parental Leave Pay
- Dad and Partner Pay
We can also enrol your child with Medicare and, if you choose, create an eHealth record for your baby. You can read more about eHealth records on the Department of Health website.
Make sure your doctor or midwife completes the back of the form. Include your Centrelink Reference Number, if you have one.
If you have lodged a pre-birth claim for Family Tax Benefit, Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay:
- log on to your Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- select the Add newborn service
- answer the questions and attach a scan or photo of the back of the form that your doctor or midwife completed
You can use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or your Centrelink online account through myGov to give us proof of birth if:
- we’ve told you we’ve assessed your claim
- your circumstances have not changed since you submitted your claim
- you’re not changing your Paid Parental Leave period start date
- you’re not transferring your Parental Leave Pay to another person
- your child:
- is not from a previous relationship
- has not left your care
- has not entered your care as part of an adoption or surrogacy arrangement
- only you are claiming Family Tax Benefit for your child
- you’re not sharing the care of your child
If you are unable to access our online services, or need help to register for an online account, call us on 136 150.
If you have not lodged a pre-birth claim for Family Tax Benefit, Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay before the birth of your child, you can claim by:
- logging into your Centrelink online account through myGov - if you don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account, it’s easy to create one at myGov
- following the steps to submit a claim for either Family Tax Benefit, Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay. During this process, you will be asked to attach a scan or photo of the proof of birth declaration page of the Newborn Child Declaration
Registering your child’s birth
You are required to register the birth of your child with your state or territory government. When you do this, you may wish to get a birth certificate for your new baby, as this will make it easier when it’s time, for example, to enrol your child in school or child care.
Read more about how to register your child’s birth on the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory on the Australia.gov.au website.
You do not need to register the birth if your child is born outside Australia, adopted or stillborn.
Proof of adoption
To prove adoption, you can submit the adoption papers online or by post to:
Department of Human Services
Reply Paid 7802
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
If you are unable to lodge this form and any supporting documents online or by post, you can provide them in person at one of our service centres.