Proof of identity

For most of our payments, you must prove your identity when claiming.

You must provide proof of:

  • your birth or arrival in Australia, and
  • use of your identity - identification that shows who you are within your community such as your Australian driver licence or a current bank ATM or credit card

The documents must be original, not photocopies. The proving your identity to Centrelink form lists the services that require proof of identity and the documents you can use.

You cannot use the same identification to prove your birth or arrival in Australia and to prove use of your identity. You will need to bring different identification from the list to do both.

Contact us if you have trouble getting these documents.

Where possible, we will use the documents you provide to progress your claim. However, you may need to provide more documents to be eligible for some payments or services.

Proof when reclaiming

You may not need to provide documents if you have previously met the requirements and you are reclaiming within 52 weeks of receiving a Centrelink payment.

Definition of a partner

For our purposes, a person is considered to be your partner if you and the person are living together, or usually live together, and are married; or in a registered relationship (opposite or same-sex); or in a de facto relationship (opposite or same-sex).

We consider a person to be in a de facto relationship from the time they commence living with another person as a member of a couple. We recognise all couples, opposite-sex and same-sex.

This information was printed from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.