Complaints and feedback - tell us what you think

We value your opinion and want to hear what you think about the quality of our service. We will use your feedback to improve our products and services.

How to make a complaint or give us feedback

Talk to the person you have been dealing with. If you are not satisfied with their response, you can ask to speak to their manager.

If you are still not satisfied you can use the following options.

Call us

Our feedback and complaints officers will aim to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. If your complaint, compliment or suggestion is about Centrelink including Centrepay, Income Management and BasicsCard, Child Support or Medicare:

TTY users can also provide their feedback or make a complaint using our TTY service on 1800 000 567

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment you can also use the National Relay Service, a national phone and internet service. Visit the National Relay Service website and enter the phone number you wish to contact.

Health professionals can make a complaint or provide feedback on 1800 132 468 or, for general information, phone us on one of the numbers listed on the Health professionals page.

Write to us

If you prefer to write to us, it may take us longer to respond. Non urgent complaints or feedback for Medicare, Centrelink and Child Support can be sent to the following areas:

Centrelink - including Centrepay, Income Management and BasicsCard and Medicare

  • send us a secure online message - please include a contact phone number so we can acknowledge and respond to your feedback
  • write to us, no paid postage required, at:
    DHS Complaints and Feedback
    Reply Paid 7788
    Canberra Business Centre ACT 2610

Child Support

What we will ask you

We want to respond to your complaint or feedback as quickly as possible.

We will ask you to:

  • provide details of your complaint or feedback
  • tell us how you would like your complaint to be resolved
  • tell us of any attempts you have made to resolve the matter
  • tell us when your personal circumstances change
  • provide a contact phone number. As we cannot guarantee the security of personal information sent via email, we will only give a detailed response to your enquiry via telephone. Any email response will not include personal details
  • be respectful and courteous to staff and other customers
  • tell us if you need help to use our products and services

We may not respond to messages that contain abuse, or material clearly intended to intimidate our staff.

We do accept anonymous complaints. However providing your name and contact information will help us to consider your complaint or feedback more effectively.

What you can expect from us

We're committed to ensuring you receive the best service possible. If we haven’t met our service commitments we want to hear from you. Your complaints, compliments and suggestions can help us improve the service we provide to you and others.

How we handle your complaint or feedback

If you have a complaint, we will respond as quickly as possible. We will let you know if we can resolve the matter or whether we need more time to investigate. Sometimes this may mean we have to speak to someone who is handling your matter. We will keep you informed of the progress of your complaint.


Generally we will contact you within 5 working days and resolve your feedback within 10 working days.

If a complaint cannot be resolved

Where we are unable to resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, we will explain why and let you know what other options you have. In some circumstances you may be able to ask for a review of a decision.

Asking for a review of a decision

If you do not agree with a decision we make you can ask for a review of a decision about your entitlements or object to a child support decision.

External review options

Our objective is to resolve your complaint. If this is not possible, there are 4 external and independent avenues available: 

Commonwealth Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Ombudsman considers and investigates complaints from people who believe they have been treated unfairly or unreasonably by an Australian Government department or agency.

For more information, visit the Commonwealth Ombudsman website or call 1300 362 072.

Administrative Appeals Tribunal

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal is an independent review of a wide range of administrative decisions made by the Australian Government and some non-government bodies.

For more information, visit the Administrative Appeals Tribunal website or call 1300 366 700.

Social Security Administrative Appeals Tribunal

The Social Security Administrative Appeals Tribunal is an independent statutory body which reviews decisions made by Officers of the Department of Human Services under the social security law, family assistance law, child support scheme and some other statutes.

Read more on the Social Security Administrative Appeals Tribunal website or call 1800 011 140.

Australian Information Commissioner

The Australian Information Commissioner provides an avenue to investigate the handling of your personal information or a Freedom of Information decision by an Australian Government department or agency.

Read more on the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website or call 1300 363 992. If calling from outside Australia call: + 61 2 9284 9749.

Other support available

Other support is available when making a complaint or giving feedback.

Legal Aid

Each of the State and Territories has a Legal Aid service to help people to resolve their legal problems especially if they belong to a disadvantaged group.

Read more about how to contact Legal Aid on Legal Aid website.

Family Relationship Advice Line

Provides all families whether together or separated with access to information about family relationship issues, ranging from building better relationships to dispute resolution.

Read more on the Family Relationships Online or phone 1800 050 321.

National Association of Community Legal Centres

Provide legal and related services to the public.

Read more on the National Association of Community Legal Centres website.

Policy department feedback and suggestions

We deliver a range of payments and services on behalf of the Australian Government.

Australian Government policy departments welcome suggestions from the public and they encourage you to contribute ideas about improvements to a department's policies, programs and services.

Read more about policy department feedback and suggestions.

If you need help with self service or online services

If you are experiencing difficulties with any of our self service, online services or Express Plus mobile applications, check whether there is a scheduled outage or customer service change notification.

Read more about Express Plus mobile app troubleshooting for:

For assistance with your myGov or online account:

This line is open from 7 am to 10 pm Monday to Friday and 10 am to 5 pm Saturday and Sunday, local time.

Help and support

Our social workers can help you during difficult times by providing confidential counselling, support and information.

Call us between 8 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday on 132 850 to speak directly to a social worker. You can also make an appointment to see a social worker at your local service centre.

Confidentiality and privacy

Read more about how we manage your privacy.

Freedom of Information (FOI)

An FOI request is not needed if you want to see your own information.

You can look into getting other types of information by visiting Freedom of Information and the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

This information was printed from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.