Holiday processing - our service centres and telephone services will be closed for Easter and Anzac Day public holidays. Read more about our holiday arrangements for Easter and Anzac Day.
What you can do online
When you are registered for a Centrelink online account you can:
- claim a range of Centrelink payments
- report your employment income, activity test or participation details
- receive online letters
- update, view or print most of your details
- submit documents
- request documents
- apply for an advance payment
- request a replacement card
- complete a rent review
You don't need to have a Centrelink online account to use the following services and tools:
- update Healthy Start for School Review
- report a suspected fraud
- BasicsCard Balance Enquiry
- Advise Parental Income
- Student Regional Area Search
- check independence through work history
- find a Centrepay, Income Management or BasicsCard organisation or business
- Payment Finder
Your access level determines which services you can use online. Each service has a level assigned depending on the information sensitivity it contains. The more sensitive the detail, the higher the level of access you will need. Most online account options are available with access level 3.
Register for a Centrelink online account:
Create a myGov account so you can access multiple Australian Government online services such as Centrelink and Medicare with one username and password.
New Centrelink customers
If you want to use one of the Centrelink Express Plus mobile apps you need to create a Centrelink online account to receive a Customer Access Number (CAN) and password. You can use this password to create a PIN number for your Centrelink Express Plus mobile app account.
You can access your Centrelink online account through myGov.
Current Centrelink customers
Once you have created a myGov account you can link it to your Centrelink online account.
When linking your myGov account to Centrelink you will be asked a set of questions used for security purposes based on information specific to your Centrelink account.
Express Plus mobile apps
Families, job seekers, students, and seniors can also do some of their business with us on their mobile device. With an Express Plus mobile app you can:
- report your earnings
- record your working hours
- update your contact details
- subscribe to and view online letters
- view your payments and history
- take pictures of documents and upload documents
Depending on your personal circumstances, you can use the mobile apps to do other activities.
Privacy and security
It is important to protect your personal information online. You need to:
- have the latest operating system, web browsing and security updates installed on your computer - read more about protecting your privacy and supported browsers
- log off from your session correctly each time you use your online account – read more about passwords and security
The Australian Government Stay Smart Online website offers practical tips and advice on online security.
Availability times and troubleshooting
Centrelink online accounts are available at scheduled times each day for each state and territory. We also have regular scheduled maintenance which we will tell you about in advance.
Read more about:
- service availability times
- customer service changes which lists any current issues impacting online accounts
You can watch our range of videos with instructions on using your account online:
Step by step guides
There are step-by-step guides to help you including:
- register for a Centrelink online account
- apply for an advance payment
- update your details
- view your online letters, and more
We have translated guides about registering for a Centrelink online account in:
Help using your online account
If you need help call 132 307 for:
- Centrelink online accounts - Monday to Friday between 7 am and 10 pm local time
- myGov helpdesk – select option 1, Monday to Friday between 7 am and 7 pm local time
Someone to act on your behalf
You can arrange for another person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf when dealing with us. They can register to view or update your information online on your behalf. Nominees can register to view or update your information online.
If you and your proposed nominee are registered for a Centrelink online account and have the required access level, you can nominate them through your online account. Your nominee can then use online accounts to complete business for you and them.
If you’ve received a One Time Access Code
We may send you a letter with a One Time Access Code and ask you to:
BasicsCard, Income Management & Centrepay services
Many organisations share business with us. You can check the balance of your BasicsCard or search for a registered business that helps us to work with you.
Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY services
if you are claiming or already receiving Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY and:
- need to live away from home to study full time, the amount you receive may be affected by the remoteness area of your family home - find the category and region of your family home
- you are than 22 years of age and you want to demonstrate you’ve achieved independence from your parent’s income through working – check independence through work history