Integration of CDEP into the Remote Jobs and Communities Programme
On 1 July 2013, the Remote Jobs and Communities Programme (RJCP) began delivering significant reforms to employment, participation and community-development services in remote Australia to help more people get into jobs and participate in their communities.
The RJCP replaces and builds on the strengths of Job Services Australia (JSA), Disability Employment Services (DES), and the Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP) programme. It provides more streamlined and flexible employment and participation in 60 remote regions across Australia.
Extension of CDEP in non-remote locations
CDEP has been extended until 30 June 2014 in identified non-remote locations where the RJCP does not operate.
CDEP participants living in these non-remote locations will continue to take part in their CDEP activities until June 2014.
The identified non-remote locations where eight CDEP Providers are continuing to operate include:
- Central Western NSW – Lightning Ridge, Mungindi, Walgett, Coonamble, Gulargambone, Gilgie Reserve, Collarenebri and Lake Cargelligo
- Northern NSW – Muli Muli, Baryugil and Malabugilmah
- Northern Territory – Alice Springs
- Queensland – Mt Garnett, Woorabinda and Cherbourg
- Tasmania –Whitemark, Lady Barron and Cape Barren Islands
If you currently receive CDEP Wages, you will continue to receive them until 30 June 2017 as long as you remain eligible.
If you live in an RJCP region your RJCP provider will pay your wages.
If you live in a non-remote location where CDEP has been extended, your CDEP provider will continue to pay your CDEP wages.
CDEP Participant Supplement
You may receive the CDEP Participant Supplement of $20.80 per fortnight if you receive CDEP Wages. You do not need to complete a claim form to apply. If you were receiving the CDEP Participant Supplement on 30 June 2013, you do not need to do anything different to continue receiving it from 1 July 2013.
You will continue to receive the CDEP Participant Supplement from 1 July 2013 while you participate in either:
- CDEP activities in one of the identified non-remote locations, or
- RJCP activities if you live in a remote region where the RJCP operates.
Your provider can tell us if you want to claim the CDEP Participant Supplement and have not claimed it before.
Add on benefits for CDEP Participant Supplement
If you receive the CDEP Participant Supplement you will receive a Health Care Card. You may also be able to claim benefits such as:
- Rent Assistance,
- Pharmaceutical Allowance
- Telephone Allowance.
Income test for CDEP Participant Supplement
You may receive the CDEP Participant Supplement if your income is below:
- $1,186.50 per fortnight if you are single
- $1,692.25 per fortnight if you are a single principle carer
- $1,091.17 per fortnight if you are partnered
If you are partnered, your and your partner’s total income must be below $2,182.34 per fortnight.
You may receive your CDEP wages as well as a part-payment of Disability Support Payment, Parenting Payment Single, Age Pension or Carer Payment. While you keep getting your part-payment, you will be eligible for the CDEP Participant Supplement. The CDEP Participant Supplement income test will apply if you no longer receive your payment.
Things to do if you receive the CDEP Participant Supplement
If you receive the CDEP Participant Supplement, you need to contact us within 14 days if:
- your income exceeds the income threshold for the CDEP Participant Supplement
- you receive additional wages (top up)
- you stop receiving CDEP wages or commence CDEP wages, or
- your personal circumstances change (e.g. relationship status, or number of dependent children in your care).
Weekly payment option
You can receive your income support payment weekly, instead of fortnightly in certain circumstances.
Approved Program of Work Supplement: CDEP Participants in non-remote locations
The Approved Program of Work Supplement of $20.80 per fortnight is available to CDEP participants who live in one of the identified non-remote locations and receive one of the following income support payments:
- Newstart Allowance
- Youth Allowance as a job seeker
- Disability Support Pension
- Parenting Payment (single or partnered).
You do not need to apply. If you are eligible you will automatically receive the payment with your regular income support payments.
If you received the CDEP Approved Program of Work Supplement on 30 June 2013, you would have continued receiving an Approved Program of Work Supplement from 1 July 2013 while you participated in CDEP activities.
If you stop participating in your activities, you will no longer be eligible for the CDEP Participant Supplement or the Approved Program of Work Supplement.
About Community Development Employment Projects
Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP) is an Australian Government initiative for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander job seekers. CDEP aims to:
- help remote Indigenous job seekers gain the skills, training and capabilities needed to find sustainable employment
- create employment opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in locations where there are no, or limited, alternative employment prospects
- improve the economic and social well-being of communities, enabling Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and organisations to take control of their own communities' economic and social development.
Access to CDEP is available to job seekers of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander origin, who live in a community serviced by a CDEP provider. Indigenous job seekers who are interested in participating in CDEP and live in one of the eight identified non-remote locations should visit their local CDEP provider.
Find out more on CDEP by visiting the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet website.
Find out more on RJCP by visiting the Department of Education website.