Disability Champion Paul’s story
In this Disability Champion video, Paul talks to us about how working part time has helped him gain new skills, friends and confidence.
Disability Employment Services providers
Disability Employment Services providers offer a range of services to support your individual needs, including:
- help to prepare for work, including training in specific job skills
- job-search support, such as résumé development, training in interview skills, and help in looking for suitable jobs
- support when initially placed into a job, including on-the-job training and co-worker and employer support
- ongoing support in a job if required
- the purchase of vocational training and other employment-related assistance
- access to help with workplace modifications; support services; and Auslan interpreting in the workplace
Types of Disability Employment Services
There are 2 types of Disability Employment Services.
Disability Management Service
This service is for people with disability, illness, or injury who need the help of an employment service but do not expect to need long-term support in the workplace.
Employment Support Service
This service is for people with a permanent disability and with an assessed need for longer term, regular, ongoing support in the workplace.
Looking for work through Disability Employment Services
We can register you as looking for work even if you have not yet completed the registration process. Let us know you are looking for work by:
- visiting your nearest service centre
- finding a local Disability Employment Services provider through Australian JobSearch website, or
- calling the Employment Services line on 132 850
Australian Disability Enterprises
Australian Disability Enterprises provide:
- employment to people with disability, illness or injury who are unable to work in the open labour market, such as, those who cannot benefit from Disability Employment Services assistance, but who are able to work for at least 8 hours per week in a supported environment
- support to customers who are in their own business workplace, in work crews, or in contract-labour arrangements. Support is generally provided for more than 24 months, and can continue for as long as the customer remains employed by the service
Customers can usually get this support by contacting an Australian Disability Enterprise themselves. However, where a referral for assistance is recommended by us following a Job Capacity Assessment or Employment Services Assessment, we may refer the customer to an Australian Disability Enterprise.
For more information, visit the Australian Disability Enterprises website.
Other employment assistance
We provide other employment assistance for people with disability who are looking for work.