Providing direct employment
Australian Disability Enterprises provides employment opportunities and support to people who are unlikely to be able to find or retain work in the open labour market.
- Call the Disability and Carers line on 132 717
- If you have a hearing or speech impairment, call the TTY service on Freecall 1800 810 586. A TTY phone is required in order to use this service
Disability Employment Services providers offer a range of services to support your individual needs, including:
- help to prepare for work, including training in specific job skills
- job-search support, such as résumé development, training in interview skills, and help in looking for suitable jobs
- support when initially placed into a job, including on-the-job training and co-worker and employer support
- ongoing support in a job if required
- the purchase of vocational training and other employment-related assistance
- access to help with workplace modifications; support services; and Auslan interpreting in the workplace.
Types of Disability Employment Services
There are two types of Disability Employment Services.
Disability Management Service
This service is for people with disability, an injury, or a health condition who need the help of an employment service but do not expect to need long-term support in the workplace.
Employment Support Service
This service is for people with a permanent disability and with an assessed need for longer-term, regular, ongoing support in the workplace.
Looking for work through Disability Employment Services
If you are looking for work, you should call our Employment Services line on 132 850, or visit your nearest DHS Service Centre. We will be able to register you as looking for work even if you have not yet completed the registration process.
You can also contact a local Disability Employment Services provider yourself to find out whether you are eligible for its help. In some cases, this may mean attending a Job Capacity Assessment.
Australian Disability Enterprises
Australian Disability Enterprises provide employment to people with disability, an injury, or a health condition who are unable to work in the open labour market (i.e. who cannot benefit from Disability Employment Services assistance) but who are able to work for at least eight hours per week in a supported environment.
Australian Disability Enterprises support customers who are in their own business workplace, in work crews, or in contract-labour arrangements. Support is generally provided for more than 24 months, and can continue for as long as the customer remains employed by the service.
Customers can usually get this support by directly contacting an Australian Disability Enterprise themselves. In some instances, a referral for assistance from an Australian Disability Enterprise may be recommended following a Job Capacity Assessment or Employment Services Assessment. In these cases, the Department of Human Services may refer the customer to an Australian Disability Enterprise.
For more information, visit the Australian Disability Enterprises website.
Other employment assistance
We provide other services for people with disability who are looking for work.
Read more about other employment assistance.