You may be able to get Fares Allowance if you are a student living away from your permanent home to study and are receiving:
- ABSTUDY, as a full-time or part-time tertiary student or as a secondary student
- Austudy, as a full-time or eligible part-time tertiary student
- Pensioner Education Supplement, as a full-time or eligible part-time tertiary student, or
- Youth Allowance, as a full-time student or with study as the only activity you are required to fulfil
For eligible students, Fares Allowance covers:
- a single journey from your permanent home to your place of study at the beginning of the academic year
- one return journey between your place of study and your permanent home during the year, if you have been receiving Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, Austudy, or the Pensioner Education Supplement for six months or more, and
- a single journey from your place of study to your permanent home when you finish or stop your studies for the academic year
Fares Allowance is paid for the cost of the least expensive form of public transport that is practicable and can only be paid for travel within Australia.
You are usually paid Fares Allowance after your journey. You need to provide proof that you have travelled, and how much you paid, when you make a claim for Fares Allowance.
Eligibility & payment rates
Eligibility for Fares Allowance
Find out if you are eligible for Fares Allowance.
Payment rates for Fares Allowance
You are paid Fares Allowance for the cost of the least expensive and practical form of public transport. Fares Allowance can only be paid for travel within Australia.
Claiming Fares Allowance
Fares Allowance is usually paid after you have made the journey. In some cases, we can pre-book your journey.
Claiming Fares Allowance with forms
For a Fares Allowance claim form, you can:
- print out the ABSTUDY Fares Allowance claim form, or
- print out the Austudy, Pensioner Education Supplement or Youth Allowance Fares Allowance claim form, or
- call us on Freecall™ 1800 132 317 if you are an ABSTUDY customer, or
- call us on 132 490 if you are an Austudy, Pensioner Education Supplement, or Youth Allowance customer, or
- visit your nearest DHS Service Centre
You will also need to provide proof of your travel. You should submit your claim for Fares Allowance before 1 April in the year following the year of your study. The sooner we receive this information, the sooner we can process your claim.
If you are eligible for Fares Allowance, it will be paid into your usual bank account.
Managing your payment
If you disagree with a Fares Allowance decision
You always have the right to appeal any decision made by us. See information on Reviews and appeals.
- Managing your money aims to get you in control of your money to help you achieve your goals, manage on a low income and know where to go for urgent help with money
- Borrowing & credit provides information on loans, credit cards, other types of credit such as interest-free deals and rent to buy, information about credit reports and credit repair and what to do if you are having trouble with debt
- Superannuation & retirement assists you to get the most out of your super
- Investing guides you through the basic principles of investing and how to find a good financial adviser
- Scams explains how scams work, how to identify different scams and what to do if you have been scammed
- Life events & you provides information tailored to your situation including under 25s, families and over 55s
- Tools & resources provides handy tools, calculators, publications, audio files and quizzes including a budget planner, retirement planner and mobile apps