Eligibility & payment rates
Eligibility for JET Child Care Fee Assistance
You may be eligible for the JET Child Care Fee Assistance if you are in receipt of one of the following income support payments:
- Parenting Payment
- Partner Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Carer Payment
- Widow B Pension
- means tested ABSTUDY
- Newstart Allowance
- Youth Allowance (for job seekers, not full-time students)
- Special Benefit, where you would qualify for Parenting Payment or Newstart Allowance except that you do not meet the residency requirements (This includes permanent residents, provisional visa holders or temporary protection visa holders)
- Community Development Employment Projects Participant Supplement, where you had immediate previous entitlement to a payment from this list that is no longer payable due to Community Development Employment Program (CDEP) income
This includes where the payment is suspended or you are still qualified for payment but not receiving income support due to fortnightly earnings over the limit.
You may also be eligible for the JET Child Care Fee Assistance if you:
- have an Employment Pathway Plan (also known as a Participation Plan or Individual Participation Plan) in place (an Employment Pathway Plan is a written agreement that sets out the action(s) you agree to take to find work)
- require Child Care Benefit–approved child care to take up paid employment or to conduct the activities in your Employment Pathway Plan
- receive the maximum rate of Child Care Benefit (if you are not in receipt of Child Care Benefit and would like to claim, you will need to complete and attach a claim for Child Care Benefit to reduce your fees form, or claim over the phone or on line)
- use Child Care Benefit–approved child care (for example, Long Day Care, Family Day Care, and Outside School Hours Care)
To be eligible for JET Child Care Fee Assistance, you must be in receipt of the maximum rate of Child Care Benefit and must not have elected a lesser rate.
JET Child Care Fee Assistance
Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance will apply to the sessions of child care that you use when you undertake approved activities.
Approved activities for JET Child Care Fee Assistance
The period you can receive JET Child Care Fee Assistance for each of these activities is limited.
Eligible hours for JET Child Care Fee Assistance
You can get up to 24 hours of JET Child Care Fee Assistance per child per week while you are doing your approved activity.
To get more than 24 hours of JET Child Care Fee Assistance per child per week, you (and your partner) must meet a work, training, study test. To meet the test you need to be doing at least 15 hours each week (or 30 hours per fortnight) of approved JET Child Care Fee Assistance activities.
The work, training, study test also applies to Child Care Benefit. The number of hours you get JET Child Care Fee Assistance in a week cannot be more than the hours you get Child Care Benefit in the same week.
If you are participating in the Helping Young Parents or Supporting Jobless Families initiatives or are a teenage parent attending secondary education you might be eligible for more than 24 hours of JET Child Care Fee Assistance per child per week even if you do not meet the work, training, study test.
Changes to JET Child Care Fee Assistance
As part of the May 2013 Budget, the Australian Government announced changes to JET Child Care Fee Assistance.
From 1 July 2013 parents who are studying an enabling course (commonly referred to as bridging or foundation courses) may be eligible for JET Child Care Fee Assistance.
Read more about the 2013-14 Budget changes for Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance.
Other benefits while receiving Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance
If you qualify for Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance, you may be entitled to other payments and services, such as:
Claiming JET Child Care Fee Assistance
Before you start
Check if you are eligible for this payment before you start your claim.
Claiming JET Child Care Fee Assistance
Download the Request for Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance form. You can then either submit your completed form and your proof of enrolment online, or return it to your local service centre.
Alternatively, you can claim JET Child Care Fee Assistance by calling us on 136 150.
More information on JET Child Care Fee Assistance
More information for families using child care can be found on the Department of Education site.
Adult Migrant English Program
Provides free English language courses to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants.
Select the options that describe your circumstances then explore a suggested list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.
Select your state and topics of interest to find links to government and community organisation support.