- receiving certain income support payments
- meet age and work requirements
Eligibility and payment rates
Eligibility for Pensioner Concession Card
You can get a Pensioner Concession Card if you receive any of these payments:
- Age Pension
- Bereavement Allowance
- Carer Payment
- Disability Support Pension
- Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance as a job seeker if you are single, caring for a dependent child, and looking for work
- Parenting Payment single
You may also get a Pensioner Concession Card if you are aged over 60 and for more than 9 months have been receiving:
- Newstart Allowance
- Parenting Payment partnered
- Partner Allowance
- Sickness Allowance
- Special Benefit
- Widow Allowance
You may also get a Pensioner Concession Card if you have a partial capacity to work and you are receiving:
If you find a job, you may be able to keep your Pensioner Concession Card for a short time.
From 1 January 2014, customers who are no longer eligible for Parenting Payment single, due to their youngest child turning 8 years of age, will still be entitled to their Pensioner Concession Card for a period of 12 weeks from the date their payment is cancelled.
Benefits of a Pensioner Concession Card
A Pensioner Concession Card entitles you to reduced cost medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
You may also be entitled to various concessions from the Australian Government. These could include:
- bulk billing for doctor's appointments - this is your doctor's decision
- more refunds for medical expenses through the Medicare Safety Net
- assistance with hearing services through the Department of Health Office of Hearing Services website, and
- discounted mail redirection through Australia Post
You may get some of these Australian Government concessions for a dependent child.
You may also be entitled to various concessions from state and territory governments and local councils such as:
- reductions on property and water rates
- reductions on energy bills
- reduced fares on public transport
- reductions on motor vehicle registration, and
- free rail journeys
Pensioner Concession Card concessions are different in each state and territory and vary between local councils. Read more about state and territories government concessions on the Australia.gov.au website.
Other benefits while receiving a Pensioner Concession Card
If you have a Pensioner Concession Card, you will be receiving a payment or services, such as:
Claiming a Pensioner Concession Card
You do not need to apply for a Pensioner Concession Card. If you are receiving an eligible Centrelink payment, you automatically receive a Pensioner Concession Card.
If you continue to be eligible, we automatically send you a new Pensioner Concession Card 2 weeks before the expiry date on your current Pensioner Concession Card.
You always have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.
Managing your card
Renewing a Pensioner Concession Card
Your Pensioner Concession Card is automatically issued to you when you are eligible and is valid for 2 years. It is renewed every 2 years on your birthday.
Digital concession cards
If you already have a concession or health care card, you can also access a digital image of your card from your Digital Wallet on your Centrelink Express Plus mobile app. The Digital Wallet allows you to present your concession or health care card using your smart device.
To access the Digital Wallet, eligible customers need to download the latest version of the Centrelink Express Plus Mobile app.
Access your digital concession or health care card by logging on to your app and selecting Digital Wallet from the side menu or simply rotating your smart device on its side. Your card will:
- drop down from the top of the screen
- swipe vertically to show the front and the back of the card, and
- shimmer slightly
If you have more than 1 concession or health care card, you can swipe horizontally to access the card you need.
The Digital Wallet provides real time concession entitlement. If your concession or health care card is no longer active, EXPIRED will appear across the card and will be displayed for 28 days before it’s no longer available through your app. There may be circumstances where you should continue to use your physical concession or health care card. If your Digital Wallet is not accepted by a concession provider, please contact us with their details by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Change of circumstances while receiving a Pensioner Concession Card
You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you are receiving a payment. For example, if:
- your personal circumstances change
- you change your address
- your income changes
- you do not have to lodge a tax return
- your care arrangements change
- your work or study load changes, or
- you leave Australia
If you stop receiving your Centrelink payment, we will automatically cancel your Pensioner Concession Card.
You may be able to keep your Pensioner Concession Card for a short time after returning to work.
If you do not tell us about the changes within 14 days your payment may be affected. You may be overpaid benefits and you may have to pay the money back.
If you deliberately do not tell us about changes, you could be charged with fraud, and a recovery fee may be imposed.
Lost or stolen card
Health Care Card and Pensioner Concession Card while travelling outside Australia
If you leave Australia to live in another country your concession card will be cancelled when you leave.
If you leave Australia temporarily, your card will remain current for up to 6 weeks provided your payment also remains current.
If you remain overseas for longer than 6 weeks and your payment remains current your concession card will be restored on your return to Australia. You can continue to use your existing card on your return to Australia.
If your payment is suspended while you are overseas and is restored on your return to Australia your concession card will be restored with your payment. You can continue to use your existing card on your return to Australia.
If your payment is cancelled while you are overseas and you reapply for your payment on your return to Australia, a new concession card will be sent to you if you receive a new payment.
Advising us of your travel outside Australia
You do not need to tell us if you are leaving Australia. We will be advised automatically by Australia’s immigration department when you leave Australia and when you return.
Other concession and health care cards
Concession and health care cards can help you access cheaper health care services and medicines.
Select the options that describe your circumstances then explore a suggested list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.
Select your state and topics of interest to find links to government and community organisation support.
- Managing your money aims to get you in control of your money to help you achieve your goals, manage on a low income and where to go for urgent money help
- Borrowing & credit information on loans, credit cards, other types of credit such as interest-free deals and rent to buy, information about credit reports and credit repair and what to do if you are having trouble with debt
- Superannuation & retirement get the most out of your super
- Investing guides you through the basic principles of investing and how to find a good financial adviser
- Scams explains how scams work, how to identify different scams and what to do if you have been scammed
- Life events & you information tailored to your situation including under 25s, families and over 55s
- Tools & resources handy tools, calculators, publications, audio files and quizzes including a budget planner, retirement planner and mobile apps