- studying in a secondary or tertiary course
- already receiving a pension or payment
- studying full time in an approved course, undertaking approved activities or in some circumstances, part time
If you are a single principal carer on Newstart Allowance you may have recently received a letter from us advising you about the changes to Pensioner Education Supplement coming into effect on 1 January 2014.
You can find more details about the changes here. You can download a claim form from under the claiming tab.
More information on the Pensioner Education Supplement is available in your language.
Eligibility & payment rates
Eligibility for Pensioner Education Supplement
You may be eligible for Pensioner Education Supplement or ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement if you receive certain payments.
Payment rates for Pensioner Education Supplement
There are 2 supplement payment rates depending on your level of study and personal circumstances.
Residence requirements for the Pensioner Education Supplement
To be eligible for the Pensioner Education Supplement you must satisfy residence requirements. You must:
- be an Australian resident
- be physically present in Australia on the day you lodge your claim, and
- continue to meet the residence requirements for as long as you get this payment
Newly arrived residents generally have a 104 week waiting period, with some exemptions.
Approved courses of study and institutions for Austudy, Youth Allowance and Pensioner Education Supplement
You need to be studying an approved course at an approved institution to receive Austudy, Youth Allowance (student) and Pensioner Education Supplement.
Other benefits while receiving the Pensioner Education Supplement
If you qualify for the Pensioner Education Supplement, you may be receiving:
Claiming Pensioner Education Supplement
You should submit your claim for Pensioner Education Supplement or ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement as soon as possible so that we can pay you from the earliest possible date.
Managing your payment
Pensioner Education Supplement while travelling outside Australia
If you leave Australia to live in another country, your Pensioner Education Supplement will stop on departure.
Provided you continue to be paid your main payment such as Disability Support Pension, Carer Payment and you continue studying for instance during holidays or semester breaks, you will continue to receive your Pensioner Education Supplement for up to 6 weeks outside Australia.
You may be able to be paid for more than 6 weeks if you are studying outside Australia as part of a full time Australian course.
Advising us of your travel outside Australia
Check your main payment type to find out whether you should tell us if you are leaving Australia.
- Managing your money aims to get you in control of your money to help you achieve your goals, manage on a low income and where to go for urgent money help
- Borrowing & credit information on loans, credit cards, other types of credit such as interest-free deals and rent to buy, information about credit reports and credit repair and what to do if you are having trouble with debt
- Superannuation & retirement get the most out of your super
- Investing guides you through the basic principles of investing and how to find a good financial adviser
- Scams explains how scams work, how to identify different scams and what to do if you have been scammed
- Life events & you information tailored to your situation including under 25s, families and over 55s
- Tools & resources handy tools, calculators, publications, audio files and quizzes including a budget planner, retirement planner and mobile apps