You may be eligible for referral to the Skills for Education and Employment program if you are:
- of working age, 15 to 64 years of age and looking for full time work
- registered as an active job seeker with us, jobactive, Disability Employment Services or Remote Jobs and Communities Programme
- deemed suitable for training without any barriers that would prevent successful participation
- either an Australian Citizen or permanent resident, or have working rights in Australia, and
- receiving at least one of the following payments:
You may also be eligible if you are:
- 15 to 21 years of age - whether or not you receive an income support payment
- a migrant serving the 104 week newly arrived residents waiting period for income support payments
Referral, assessment and training
When you first register as a job seeker, we will check your eligibility for the program. We are also able to check your eligibility at any time while you are registered as a job seeker. If you are eligible, we will organise a referral to a nearby training provider for a language, literacy or numeracy assessment.
The training is:
- 10 to 20 hours a week
- in small groups, in a friendly environment with other people who face difficulties with reading, writing and maths
- provided by professional staff with experience in teaching adult learners
- intended to make it easier for you to do things like fill in forms, write letters, prepare resumés and job applications
- developed to give you more confidence when looking for work
- available in your own home through distance education for carers and others who may have difficulty in attending face to face training
Language, Literacy and Numeracy Supplement
You may be eligible to receive the Language, Literacy and Numeracy Supplement if you are attending the Skills for Education and Employment program and receive one of the following income support payments:
- Disability Support Pension
- Newstart Allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Partner Allowance
- Widow Allowance
- Youth Allowance
The supplement is $20.80 per fortnight.
You do not need to submit a claim to receive this payment. If you are eligible, it is automatically paid with your regular payment every fortnight while you participate in the program.
You cannot receive the supplement if you receive:
- Pensioner Education Supplement (PES) or ABSTUDY PES
- an Approved Program of Work Supplement, which is paid to participants in Work for the Dole, Green Army (part time) and eligible Remote Jobs and Communities Programme activities
MoneySmart offers free independent guidance to help people make the most of their money.
Read more about MoneySmart