Medicare Benefit Tax Statement

Assists you to claim the Net Medical Expenses Tax Offset in your annual tax return.

Your Medicare benefit tax statement has information about medical services and expenses for your chosen Medicare card. It is based on Medicare claims processed within the financial year—not necessarily services performed within the financial year. For example, if the medical service was performed in 2012–13 and not processed by us until 2013–14, the medical service will appear on your 2013–14 Medicare benefit tax statement.

Only services a Medicare benefit has been paid for are included in the statement. It does not include bulk bill and in-hospital claims.

The statement may help you when claiming the net medical expenses tax offset in your tax return. If your net medical expenses (including Medicare and non-Medicare items) are over the Australian Tax Office's (ATO) net medical expenses threshold, you can claim an offset of 20 per cent (that is, 20 cents in the dollar). Information about threshold amounts for the current financial year is available on the ATO's 20% tax offset on net medical expenses webpage.

To claim the offset, you need to know the total amount of medical expenses you paid for yourself and your dependants during the financial year. You then deduct any refunds you received during the financial year from Medicare benefits or your private health fund.

Requesting statements for other people

You can ask for a Medicare benefit tax statement for yourself and other people under the age of 18, who are listed on your Medicare card.

You can also ask for tax statements for other people listed on your card who are 18 or older. However, due to privacy reasons, we will send the statement to those people at the address we have for them in our records.

You can only ask for a tax statement if you are 14 or older.

Request a Medicare benefit tax statement

You can ask for a Medicare benefit tax statement in a number of ways.

  • Online through the ATO's e-Tax application. Here you can download your statement into your e-tax application. All you will need is your tax file number, Medicare card number and a previous notice of tax assessment number
  • By visiting Medicare online accounts. You will need to be registered for this. If you're not registered you can register now. Once you have registered and received your password, you can download a copy of your Medicare benefit tax statement to keep for your personal records, give it to your accountant or lodge with your paper tax return
  • By filling in the Medicare benefit tax statement online form. We will send the statement to you at the address we have for you in our records
  • By visiting one of our Service Centres. Ask the Customer Service Officer to print your statement. You can ask for a statement for the current and previous year. At the Service Centre, you will need to show your Medicare card and one of the following:
    • current driver's licence
    • current passport
    • birth certificate or extract
    • naturalisation or citizenship certificate
    • Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade identification documents
    • school or tertiary photo identification card
  • By mail. You only need to fill in a Request for a Medicare benefit tax statement form if you need a statement for a financial year more than two years before the date of request or if you have been transferred or copied from one Medicare card to another during this financial year

Send a completed Request for a Medicare benefit tax statement form to one of the addresses on the form. We will send the statement to the address we have for you in our records.
Information is only available for the past four financial years. Do not send your Medicare card when you send your request by mail.

You can also call us on 132 011 and speak to a customer service officer who will ask you for the following details:

  • your Medicare card number
  • your personal details
  • personal details of the people who require a Medicare benefit tax statement
  • applicable financial year

We will send the statement to the address we have for you in our records.

People on two or more Medicare cards during a financial year

If you have been on more than one Medicare card during a financial year, you will need to send two requests to get your Medicare benefit tax statements:

  1. For your current Medicare card, see 'Request a Medicare benefit tax statement'
  2. For a previous Medicare card, you will need to make a request in writing using a Request for a Medicare benefit tax statement form You will then need to post this to one of the addresses on the form

If you have transferred off another card, you can make a request for your information from that card.

More information

This information was printed from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.