Phasing out the Schoolkids Bonus
The Schoolkids Bonus is being phased out. The final instalment of the Schoolkids Bonus will be paid in July 2016.
- a parent or carer receiving Family Tax Benefit Part A for a dependent child in primary or secondary education
- a primary or secondary student turning 19 years or younger in the calendar year, who receives certain government payments
- satisfy an income test (applicable from 1 January 2015)
Eligibility and payment rates
Eligibility for the Schoolkids Bonus
You must be a parent or carer of a primary or secondary school student or a young person receiving eligible income support payments. An income test also applies.
Definitions of preschool, primary and secondary school for the Schoolkids Bonus
The definitions of primary and secondary school years are different depending on the state or territory in which you live.
Check your child's eligibility based on your location. Children in preschool are not eligible for the Schoolkids Bonus.
From 1 January 2015, secondary education in Queensland and Western Australia starts from year 7. Prior to 1 January 2015, secondary education in these 2 states started from year 8.
To be paid the right amount of Schoolkids Bonus, you need to tell us if your child is starting primary school or secondary study, or completing primary or secondary study.
|State/Territory||Preschool (not eligible)||Primary school (eligible)||Secondary school (eligible)|
|NSW||Preschool||Kindergarten, years 1-6||years 7-12|
|VIC||Kindergarten||Preparatory, years 1-6||years 7-12|
|QLD||Kindergarten||Preparatory, years 1-6||years 7-12|
|SA||Kindergarten||Reception, years 1-7||years 8-12|
|WA||Kindergarten||Pre-primary, years 1-6||years 7-12|
|TAS||Kindergarten||Preparatory, years 1-6||years 7-12|
|NT||Preschool||Transition, years 1-6||years 7-12|
|ACT||Preschool||Kindergarten, years 1-6||years 7-12|
Payment rates for the Schoolkids Bonus
From 1 January 2015, eligible families will receive the Schoolkids Bonus in:
- 2 instalments of $211 for each child in primary school - a total of $422 each year
- 2 instalments of $421 for each child in secondary school - a total of $842 each year
If you share the care of your child with another person, you will receive a percentage of this payment. This will be based on the percentage of Family Tax Benefit you receive for the child.
How you will be paid the Schoolkids Bonus
The Schoolkids Bonus can be paid in different ways. If:
- you receive fortnightly payments, your Schoolkids Bonus will be paid in January and July
- you claim Family Tax Benefit as a lump sum, your Schoolkids Bonus will be paid when your lump sum claim is assessed, and after you and your partner have lodged your tax returns.You can change your payment choice at any time to receive Family Tax Benefit fortnightly and receive the Schoolkids Bonus when the next payment is due in January or July, but your new payment option will only apply to the remaining part of the year
- you are a student and your Centrelink payment normally goes into your bank account, your Schoolkids Bonus will be paid the same way
- your payments are income managed, your Schoolkids Bonus will be paid directly to your Income Management account
- you receive an education allowance for a child from the Department of Veterans' Affairs, they will pay your Schoolkids Bonus for that child
If you claim Family Tax Benefit as a lump sum and would prefer, you can change to receive Family Tax Benefit fortnightly and receive the Schoolkids Bonus when the next payment is due in January or July. This can be done using your Centrelink online account through myGov.
If you receive Family Tax Benefit at a zero rate due to a payment choice, you will still be paid the Schoolkids Bonus in January and July.
School Leaver payment
Families with children who complete the final year of secondary school, year 12 or an equivalent level of education may be entitled to a School Leaver instalment of Schoolkids Bonus. To receive this payment, families or individual students need to confirm with Centrelink that they have completed secondary studies. Family Tax Benefit, Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY customers can do this using their Centrelink online account through myGov. Disability Support Pension, Parenting Payment, Special Benefit and Carer Payment customers will need to give us this information by calling 136 150 or visiting your nearest service centre.
Other benefits while receiving Schoolkids Bonus
If you are eligible for Schoolkids Bonus, you may be receiving other payments and services, such as:
Managing your payment
Check or update your child's education details for the Schoolkids Bonus
You may need to update your child's education details with us so we can pay you the right amount of Schoolkids Bonus.
You need to tell us if your child is starting primary school or secondary study, or completing primary or secondary study.
If you need to update your child's details you can do this by using your Centrelink online account through myGov.
If you receive Family Tax Benefit Part A and your child’s education details are up to date, you will be paid Schoolkids Bonus automatically, provided you are eligible.
Provide your study details for the Schoolkids Bonus
If you are an eligible student, you may need to give us your study details so we can pay you the Schoolkids Bonus. You also need to let us know if you completed secondary study as you may be eligible for a School Leaver payment.
If you are a student receiving Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY Living Allowance or Pensioner Education Supplement, you do not need to do anything. We will pay you automatically.
Give your study details
If you do not receive Pensioner Education Supplement and you are a student receiving Disability Support Pension, Carer Payment, Parenting Payment or Special Benefit, you need to give us your study details so we can pay you the Schoolkids Bonus. You can do this by calling us or visiting your nearest service centre.
Receiving an education allowance from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
Eligible students receiving an education allowance from the Department of Veterans' Affairs will be paid automatically and do not need to provide any extra information. To find out more, call 133 254 or, for non‑metropolitan callers, call 1800 555 254.
Schoolkids Bonus while travelling outside Australia
You can be paid the Schoolkids Bonus while outside Australia as long as you continue to meet the eligibility conditions.
Advising us of your travel outside Australia
Check your main payment type to find out whether you should tell us if you are leaving Australia.