Age Pension and planning your retirement

As an older Australian, you may be planning for retirement or have decided to work past age pension age. We have payments and services to help with your health care and living costs.

Planning for retirement

Retiring from paid work is a major life change.

You can attend a free Financial Information Service (FIS) seminar to help with your retirement planning. FIS seminars provide information about how to prepare for retirement, understanding your pension and living in retirement.

Talk to a FIS Officer

Call 132 300 to speak to a FIS officer. If possible, your questions will be answered over the phone. If there are complex issues to be discussed, the FIS officer may offer to arrange an appointment for you.

Update your Child Support arrangements

If you pay or receive child support and your circumstances change you should update your Child Support arrangement. Changes to your circumstances may affect the amount of child support you pay or receive. You can update your Child Support arrangement by calling 131 272 or using Child Support online accounts. Read more about changes that affect your child support.

Income support for older Australians

If you have reached age pension age, the Age Pension may help to support you. To qualify you must first satisfy age and residence requirements. How much you can get depends on your income and assets and other circumstances.

If you are a self-funded retiree or still working, you may be able to get a part pension.

If you have lived or worked outside of Australia and are claiming or receiving Age Pension here, the Australian Government may also ask you to apply for a pension from other countries you have lived or worked in.

If you are legally blind, you may get an Age Pension Blind payment which has no income or assets test.

There are other payments and supplements available as well. For instance, the Pension Loans Scheme can help you if your capital is tied up in assets and you need more income to live on.

Our online estimators let you estimate the amount of Age Pension you may be able to get and compare other payments you may be eligible for.

Start the online

Working past age pension age

You may want to continue to work past age pension age.

The Work Bonus is an incentive for pensioners past age pension age to remain in the workforce by increasing the amount you can earn before your pension is reduced. You do not need to apply for the Work Bonus. If you receive eligible employment income, we will automatically apply the Work Bonus to your income test.

The Pension Bonus Scheme provides a lump sum incentive for older Australians to remain in the workforce and defer claiming Age Pension. To be eligible for a bonus, you must be a registered member of the scheme. The scheme is closed to new registrations. Conditions apply.

Pensioner Concession Card

If you receive Age Pension you will be able to get a Pensioner Concession Card. This gives you access to Australian Government health concessions and helps with the cost of living by reducing the cost of certain goods and services.

You may also get a Pensioner Concession Card if you are aged over 60 and have been receiving other certain income-support payments for 9 months or more.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

MoneySmartThe MoneySmart website has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Retirement and income planning section on the MoneySmart website.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health situation.

The myagedcare website provides information on a wide range of community, aged care and support services. You can find advice about what help is available, assistance at home, aged care homes, and caring for someone.

This information was printed from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.