Australians overseas

If you are going to travel or live outside Australia, check how this may affect your health care, child support arrangements and Centrelink payments.

Contact us

Contact us if your international details have changed.



Update your international bank details.


Customer online accounts

Sign into your Centrelink, Medicare or Child Support account

myGovLog on

Close ×
Select an account

Before you travel

You should:

  • check if you’re travelling to a country that has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.This does not replace the need for private travel health insurance
  • read the rules about travelling overseas with Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medicines and make sure the medicine is legal in the country you are travelling to
  • take your current Medicare card with you
  • talk to us about your child support arrangements before you leave Australia as your departure may affect how we administer your case
  • read the rules below about how Centrelink payments or concession cards may be affected and whether you need to let us know before you go. You can do this quickly and easily using your Centrelink online account, through myGov
  • consider registering your travel at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade smartraveller website
It is illegal to take or send PBS medicine out of Australia that is not for your own use or the personal use of someone travelling with you.

Payments affected while outside Australia

You might need to tell us you are leaving or returning to Australia as your payment may be affected if you travel or live outside Australia.

While you are overseas it is also important to advise us about any changes to your circumstances.

Australian Pension News

Information for people living outside Australia who get a payment from Centrelink. Read Australian Pension News now.

Social security agreements with other countries

Australia has a number of social security agreements with other countries sharing responsibility for social security payments. If you have lived in Australia and a country we have an agreement with, you may be able to claim certain payments from both countries. Agreements may also help you continue to be paid certain payments when you move between agreement countries.