Payments & services
If you are going to travel or live outside Australia, check how this may affect your health care, child support arrangements and Centrelink payments.
- check if you’re travelling to a country that has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.This does not replace the need for private travel health insurance
- read the rules about travelling overseas with Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medicines and make sure the medicine is legal in the country you are travelling to
- take your current Medicare card with you
- talk to us about your child support arrangements before you leave Australia as your departure may affect how we administer your case
- read the rules below about how Centrelink payments or concession cards may be affected and whether you need to let us know before you go
- consider registering your travel at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade smartraveller website
Payments affected while outside Australia
You might need to tell us you are leaving or returning to Australia as your payment may be affected if you travel or live outside Australia.
While you are overseas it is also important to advise us about any changes to your circumstances.
Australian Pension News
Information for people living outside Australia who get a payment from Centrelink. Read Australian Pension News now.
Australia has a number of social security agreements with other countries sharing responsibility for social security payments. If you have lived in Australia and a country we have an agreement with, you may be able to claim certain payments from both countries. Agreements may also help you continue to be paid certain payments when you move between agreement countries.