Disabled, ill or injured and looking for work

We provide assistance if you have a disability, illness or injury to find and keep a job. There is financial support available to help you work, study or do other approved activities. We also provide free information and job search services to help you while you are looking for work.

Financial assistance

We deliver financial assistance, as well as information and job search services, to help people with a disability, illness or injury find and keep a job.

The Pensioner Education Supplement helps students improve their chance of finding a job through study by helping with the ongoing costs of full-time or part-time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

The Mobility Allowance helps you to participate in approved activities if you have a disability, illness or injury. The allowance helps with transport costs if you cannot use public transport without extra help, either permanently or for an extended period.

The Youth Disability Supplement provides additional financial support to young people with a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability who receive certain income support payments.

Sickness Allowance payment is for people aged 22 years or more but under Age Pension age who temporarily cannot work or study because of an injury or illness.

It is important that you tell us if your circumstances change. Keeping us up to date means we can continue to pay you correctly.

If you pay or receive child support you should make sure we know about your change of situation. Changes to your circumstances may affect the amount of child support you pay or receive. You can update your Child Support arrangement by calling 131 272 or using Child Support online accounts. Read more about changes that affect your child support.

Information and job search services

The Jobs in Jeopardy scheme helps if you are at risk of losing your job because of illness, injury or disability to stay in your current job or find a more suitable one with the same employer.

Disability Employment Services providers play a specialist role in helping people with a disability, injury or health condition to find a job.

There are self-service computers and printers available in our Centrelink Service Centres to assist you if you are looking for work. You can use these facilities to do things like type out and print a resume.

The National Relay Service is a free telephone service that helps people across Australia who are deaf or hearing or speech impaired to telephone the wider community through a third person.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

MoneySmartThe MoneySmart website has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Australian JobSearch is a free online jobs website which you can use to look for jobs across all industries and regions within Australia. You can also use JobSearch to find employment services providers and disability employment services providers near you. The free JobSearch app can be downloaded from the Google Play or the iTunes App Store.

Better Start for Children with Disability initiative provides early intervention services and treatments for eligible children with disability.

Disability Services Australia provides information on employment and community support services for people with a disability.

Health Direct provides information on maintaining health and wellbeing.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health situation.

JobAccess offers help and workplace solutions for people with a disability looking for work and their employers.

The Helping Children with Autism package offers support and services for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, their families and carers.