Disaster recovery payments

We provide several payments if you are affected by disaster, such as natural disaster and acts of terrorism. You may be able to get paid an income support payment immediately if you are not already getting a Centrelink payment. If you already receive a Centrelink payment you may be able to get an advance lump sum payment.

If you have been affected by a disaster

The type of help you can get depends on your circumstances.

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment may be available to assist people who have been adversely affected by natural disaster.

Crisis Payment is a one-off payment that helps those who have experienced difficult or extreme circumstances. It is different to an Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment. You may claim the Crisis Payment if you were affected by a disaster and you have not received, or are not qualified for, Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

Special Benefit is a payment that helps if you are in severe financial need and cannot receive any other Centrelink pension or benefit.

Mobile Service Centres provide access to our payments and services if you live in rural or regional areas.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of government and community organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

MoneySmartThe MoneySmart website has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Storms, floods and fire section on the MoneySmart website.