Family and domestic violence

Call 000 for immediate assistance if you are experiencing family or domestic violence.

We have payments and services to help you if you are experiencing family or domestic violence.

About family and domestic violence

We take family and domestic violence seriously.

Family and domestic violence occurs when someone uses behaviour that is violent, threatening, intimidating or controlling, or intended to cause the family or household member to be fearful. Such behaviours may include:

  • physical
  • verbal
  • emotional
  • sexual or psychological abuse
  • controlling money
  • stalking
  • neglect in a relationship of dependence
  • harm to an animal or property
  • restricting spiritual or cultural participation

Victims of violence may live in fear for themselves and their family even when they have left an abusive relationship. People from all walks of life can be affected by family and domestic violence and it includes all types of relationships such as current and past intimate relationships, co-habiting, carers and guardians, other family members including step families, those who fall within Indigenous or culturally recognised family groups, and is irrespective of gender and sexuality.

How we can help you

Family and domestic violence is unacceptable in any form. Our first priority in responding to customers who are experiencing family or domestic violence will be their safety and wellbeing.

We can help you if you are in, have left, or are preparing to leave a situation where you are affected by family and domestic violence.

We will consider if you are eligible for a range of payments and services such as parenting payment, income support payments, crisis payments and exemptions from seeking employment or collecting child support based on your personal situation.

There may be specific payments and services that can help you:

  • if someone has been removed from your home, or you have had to move houses due to violence
  • if you are in financial hardship due to circumstances relating to violence
  • if you are under 21 and unable to live at home due to violence
  • if you are unable to search for work due to illness, injury whether permanent or temporary or other related issues of experiencing violence
  • if you have recently moved to Australia and are unable to be supported by others due to violence
  • if applying for or collecting child support would put you or your family's safety at risk
  • when another adult or child needs to be removed from or added to a Medicare card

Our social workers offer private and confidential interviews for counselling and support. They can help you work out your options including assessing your payments and exemptions to some requirements. They can also help you access other support services in the community.

Our commitment to supporting people affected by family and domestic violence is detailed in our Family and Domestic Violence Strategy.

Other government and community support services


1800 RESPECT is the national family violence and sexual assault counselling service. It is a free, confidential service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 1800 737 732 to speak to a professional counsellor.

Family Relationship Advice

The Family Relationship Advice Line provides information and advice on family relationship issues and parenting arrangements after separation. It can also refer callers to local services that can provide assistance. Call 1800 050 321 between 8 am and 8 pm, Monday to Friday, or 10 am to 4 pm on Saturday local time, except national public holidays.

Kids Helpline

Kids Helpline is a free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25. Call 1800 551 800, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


Lifeline provides crisis support services. Call 131 114, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Mensline Australia

Mensline Australia provides telephone and online support, information and a referral service. They provide counselling support for men to help deal with relationship problems in a practical and effective way. They also provide specialist support to those who use or experience family and domestic violence. Read more about this support on the Mensline Australia website or call 1300 789 978.


MoneySmartThe MoneySmart website has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Urgent Money Help section and Divorce or separation section on the MoneySmart website.

White Ribbon

The White Ribbon website provides a list of national and state based support organisations which may be of assistance where domestic and family violence is a concern.

This information was printed from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.