Having a baby or adopting a child

We have a range of services and payments to help new parents, including Parental Leave Pay, Dad and Partner Pay, and Baby Bonus.

Payments for parents

To help cover the costs involved with caring for a new child, we provide payments and services to:

  • parents of newborns
  • parents of recently adopted children (from within Australia or overseas), and
  • surrogacy birth mothers

If your child is born or adopted before 1 March 2014, you or your partner may be eligible for:

If your child is born or adopted on or after 1 March 2014, you or your partner may be eligible for:

The Paid Parental Leave scheme provides financial support to eligible working parents when they take time off work to care for a new child. There are two payments available under the scheme—Parental Leave Pay for a child's primary carer and Dad and Partner Pay, which is available for dads or partners (including adopting parents and same sex couples).

Baby Bonus is paid in 13 fortnightly instalments after the birth of a child who is born before 1 March 2014. You can also claim it for adopted children under 16 years who enter your care before 1 March 2014.

Parental Leave Pay and Baby Bonus can’t be paid for the same child. If you meet the eligibility criteria for both payments, you can choose which one is the best financial decision for your family. You can use our estimator to help work this out.

Start the Baby Bonus & Parental
Leave Pay comparison estimator

Baby Bonus will no longer be available for children who are born or adopted on or after 1 March 2014. You may be eligible for Parental Leave Pay or the Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement paid with your Family Tax Benefit Part A payments.

Parenting Payment and Family Tax Benefit provide financial support to eligible parents or guardians to help with the ongoing cost of raising children.

Parent Pack

The Parent Pack is given to all new parents by their hospital or midwife when they have a baby.

Its main role is to give parents a Newborn Child (proof of birth) form, which registers their baby for Medicare, eHealth and, if applicable, confirm details for Parental Leave Pay or Baby Bonus, Family Tax Benefit and Dad and Partner Pay. To find out more about proof of birth, visit the Proof of birth or adoption page.

The Parent Pack also includes information about government assistance and services, such as:

  • immunisation
  • child care
  • eHealth
  • the Express Plus Families mobile app
  • the Raising Children Network, and
  • a support hotline for women, partners and families after the birth of their child

Parents are only given one form. If the original form is misplaced, call 136 150.

Helping young parents

If you are 19 years old or under, get Parenting Payment and live in one of 10 selected Local Government Areas, we'll contact you when your child is six months old to see how you are going as part of the Helping Young Parents measure.

Health care services for parents

To add a newborn baby (up to and including 52 weeks of age) to your Medicare card you will need to complete a Newborn Child Claim for Family Assistance and Medicare form. This form is included in the information pack given to parents after the birth of their child, either in hospital or from a registered midwife for a home birth.

If you adopt a child from overseas, you can add them to your Medicare card from the date they arrive in Australia if they are on either a permanent resident visa, or a temporary visa with an application lodged for permanent residence.

The Australian Childhood Immunisation Register is a national register that records vaccinations given to children under seven years old.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of government and community organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your situation.

Australia.gov.au connects you to information and services across Australia including information on starting a family.

eHealth.gov.au provides information on how to register your child for an eHealth record. An eHealth record allows you and your doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers to view and share health information and find the best possible care.

Family Relationships Online provides all families (whether together or separated) with access to information about family relationship issues, ranging from building better relationships to dispute resolution.

mychild.gov.au provides information about different types of child care and how to get assistance with the cost of child care.