Managing your money

We provide a range of services to help you manage your money and the payments you get from us. 

Financial Information Service

Our free and confidential Financial Information Service provides education and information on financial and lifestyle issues for all Australians. Financial Information Service officers hold  information seminars in a range of locations across Australia.

Watch our demonstration video about choosing a financial adviser.

Services to help you manage your bills


Centrepay is a free service that allows you to pay bills via regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. Instead of having large bills every month or quarter, your bills are paid in manageable amounts from your payment, making it easier for you to budget.

There are several ways to start Centrepay deductions. You can:

Use myGov now to access your Centrelink account online and access Centrepay.

Income Management

Income Management is a way to help you manage your money to meet essential household needs and expenses. It is only available in certain locations. We will work with you to help you manage your Centrelink and Department of Veterans’ Affairs payments so some of the payment can be used to pay for personal and family essentials such as rent, bills, food and education. Through Income Management you can learn to better manage your finances in the long term.

Rent deduction

The Rent Deduction Scheme is a free service that allows you to pay your state or territory housing authority rent through regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. The Rent Deduction Scheme is convenient and secure.

MoneySmart website

The Australian Securities and Investment Commission's MoneySmart website provides financial guidance to help you make the most of your money. There is useful information on 

  • debt management
  • credit repair
  • reverse mortgages
  • unclaimed money
  • tools and resources to help you balance your budget 
  • scams
  • dealing with loan rejections
  • how to avoid sales pressure, and
  • who to go to if you have a complaint

Services to manage health care expenses

Medicare payments are now made electronically. You need to register your bank account details to access these payment options:

  • at the doctor's - many doctors can lodge your claim for you
  • at a service centre - your benefit will be paid into your account by Electronic Funds Transfer or by credit EFTPOS by swiping your ATM card
  • through your Medicare online account, you can lodge some Medicare claims online. It is fast, secure and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through myGov

The Medicare Safety Net provides financial assistance for high cost, out of hospital medical services that attract a Medicare benefit. Once you reach a Medicare Safety Net threshold, you may be eligible for additional Medicare benefits.

If you are not eligible for Medicare, you can claim an exemption from paying the Medicare levy in your income tax return. 

A Medicare benefit tax statement may help you to claim the net medical expenses tax offset in your annual tax return.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

The Saver Plus program is a matched savings program to help lower income families with their educational costs. Read more about Saver Plus on the Brotherhood of St. Laurence website.