Payments for job seekers

We offer income support if you are looking for work, completing approved studies or have a disability and are looking for work.

Income support while you look for work

If you pay or receive child support you should make sure we know about your change of situation. Changes to your circumstances may affect the amount of child support you pay or receive. You can update your Child Support arrangement by calling 131 272 or using Child Support online accounts. Read more about changes that affect your child support.

Newstart Allowance provides financial help if you are looking for work or taking part in activities to find a job.

Youth Allowance supports young people 16 to 21 years of age, who are looking for full time work or undertaking approved activities.

Use the Participation Activity Record form to keep a record of your jobsearch efforts or activities.

Express Plus Job Seekers app

Simple, fast, mobile. Do your Centrelink business on your mobile device with Express Plus mobile apps.

Payments to help you study or train

Austudy is for full time students and Australian Apprentices aged 25 or over.

ABSTUDY is for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders who are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship.

Youth Allowance is for young people who are:

  • studying or training full time
  • undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship
  • looking for work, or
  • temporarily unable to work or study

In addition to these payments, you may be able to get other payments if you are studying or training.

The Pensioner Education Supplement helps with the ongoing costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

You may also be able to get Education Entry Payment.

Child care costs while you look for work or study

Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance helps with the cost of approved child care. It is for eligible parents who are undertaking activities such as:

  • searching for a job
  • work
  • study
  • training, or
  • rehabilitation to enter or reenter the workforce. This is part of an Employment Pathway Plan, Participation Plan or Individual Participation Plan

Parenting Payment provides income support to parents or guardians to help with the cost of raising children.

Job seekers with a disability

Disability Support Pension provides financial support if you have a physical, intellectual, or psychiatric condition that stops you from working, or if you are permanently blind. If you are eligible, you may receive this payment along with other benefits, including a Pensioner Concession Card. If you start work, you may still receive this payment, depending on the number of hours you work and how much you earn.

Mobility Allowance helps if you have a disability, illness or injury and cannot use public transport without substantial assistance, either permanently or for an extended period. To be eligible you must be looking for work or participating in paid or voluntary work, study or training.

You are not eligible for Mobility Allowance if you are receiving a funded package of support through the National Disability Insurance Scheme.

The Youth Disability Supplement provides additional financial support to young people with physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability who receive certain income support payments.

Assistance for overseas trained professionals

If you are a skilled overseas trained professional, the Assessment Subsidy for Overseas Trained Professionals program can help you with the cost of assessments and exams you need to pass so you can practise in Australia. Only certain approved professions are covered by this program.

Changes to Job Services Australia from 1 July 2015

From 1 July 2015, new employment services called jobactive replaces Job Services Australia.

From mid-April, you will receive a letter or SMS from the Department of Employment. It will tell you about the changes and what you need to do.

If you have any questions, speak to your current employment provider, go to Australian JobSearch website or call the Department of Employment’s customer service line on 1300 854 414.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and information you may find helpful.

MoneySmartThe MoneySmart website has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Losing your job section on the MoneySmart website.

The beyondblue website is for an independent, not for profit organisation for depression, anxiety and related mental health disorders in Australia.

The JobAccess website offers help and workplace solutions for people with disability looking for work and their employers.

The My future website is Australia's national career information and exploration service. It helps with career decisions, planning career pathways and managing work transitions.

This information was printed from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.