Payments for Older Australians

If you are an older Australian who is retired, planning for retirement or considering working past Age Pension age, we have payments and services to support you with health care and household costs.

Income support when you retire

The Age Pension is an income support payment that helps give older people an adequate standard of living in retirement. If you meet the age and residence requirements, we will calculate how much Age Pension you can get, depending on your income, assets and other factors.

People who receive Age Pension may also be eligible to receive additional benefits and payments, such as Rent Assistance or the Pension Supplement. Eligible self-funded retirees, or older Australians still working part-time, can get a partial Age Pension payment.

The Australian Government may also ask you and your partner to apply for a pension from other countries you have lived or worked in if you are claiming or receiving Age Pension here in Australia.

Our online estimators let you estimate the amount of Age Pension you may be able to get and compare other payments you may be eligible for.

Start the online

Eligible older Australians who are legally blind can get the Age Pension (Blind), which has no income or assets test.

Widow Allowance ensures women have an adequate income if they have become widowed, divorced or separated later in life, were born on or before 1 July 1955 and have no recent workforce experience.

Help with living and household costs

There are payments to help you with your living and household costs. Rent Assistance gives extra financial help if you rent privately and receive a payment from us. The Australian Government’s Household Assistance Scheme helps you make the switch to digital television when analogue free-to-air television signals are switched off and replaced with digital only signals.

Help with health care expenses

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps eligible people with permanent and severe incontinence meet some of the costs of incontinence products. There is also the External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program for Australian women who have had a mastectomy as a result of breast cancer. Under this program, eligible women can claim a reimbursement for new or replacement external breast prostheses purchased after 1 July 2008.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of government and community organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your situation.

myagedcare provides information on a wide range of community, aged care and support services. You can find advice about what help is available, assistance at home, aged care homes, and caring for someone. MoneySmart offers tips and useful tools to support people make better financial decisions and help manage their money.