Payments for rural and remote Australians

Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment

We provide payments to support you if you live in rural and remote areas. There are payments and services for eligible farmers needing extra assistance with the farm business. We can also help with some of the costs of raising children in rural and remote areas.

Support for families

The Interim Farm Household Allowance replaces the Transitional Farm Family payment and is available to farm families from 1 March 2014. The payment offers help for farm families experiencing financial hardship to meet basic household needs and improve the family’s long term financial security.

We provide payments to help parents with the cost of child care and educating their children.

We provide payments to support parents who have just had a baby or recently adopted a child. Read more about having a baby or adopting a child.

The Child Care Benefit helps cover the cost of approved child care, including long day care, family day care, occasional day care, and before and after school care. The Child Care Rebate is paid in addition to the Child Care Benefit and covers some out of pocket child care expenses for those who are working, training or studying.

The Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps if you are a parent or carer of school aged children who cannot go to an appropriate state school because of geographical isolation, disability or special health need.

Accessing government services

We have over 580 Agents and Access Points offering a broad range of government services in rural, regional and remote communities where you can:

  • access Centrelink services, Medicare telephone claiming facilities and other government information
  • use our computer, phone, fax and photocopier for your government and job seeking needs

To find your nearest Agent or Access Point go to Find Us.

Our Mobile Service Centres help people in rural and regional communities who might not otherwise be able to access Government services. The Mobile Service Centres can help you get the payments and services you may be entitled to.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of government and community organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

Australian Apprenticeships provides information and resources about Australian apprenticeships and the support available. connects you to information and services across Australia including support for people in rural and regional Australia.

My skills aims to connect students and employers with training organisations and provides information about Vocational Education and Training (VET) and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) in Australia.

Study Assist provides information to current and prospective students about Australian Government assistance for financial tertiary study including information about subsidised fees and government loans.