Payments to help you raise children

We provide assistance if you have a baby, adopt a child, or a child comes into your care. We also provide support to help with health care and education expenses.

News for Carers has now moved online. Subscribe to receive your news via a monthly email.

Birth and adoption

We provide payments to support parents who have just had a baby or recently adopted a child. Read more about having a baby or adopting a child.

Support for families with children

Payments like Family Tax Benefit, Parenting Payment, Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate are available to help with the cost of raising children. You may be eligible if you are a carer whether it is your birth child, foster or adopted child, or your grandchild.

Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance provides extra help with the cost of approved child care if you are looking for work, studying, training or doing rehabilitation to enter, or re-enter, the workforce.

The Double Orphan Pension is available to help with the cost of caring for children who are orphans or unable to be cared for by their parents in certain circumstances.

There are also payments to help you with expenses relating to your children’s education. Youth Allowance provides financial help for young people who are studying full time, doing a full-time Australian apprenticeship or training, looking for work or sick.

The Education Entry Payment is available to help with the cost of study if you get specified income support payments.

If eligible, you can get Family Tax Benefit Part A for children who are studying, up to the end of the calendar year in which they turn 19.

Children aged 16 to 19 years in full time secondary study count as Rent Assistance children. To get Rent Assistance, proof of rent needs to be provided.

On 1 July 2012, Maternity Immunisation Allowance and immunisation requirements changed. 

Families with children with a severe disability or medical condition

Carer Payment can provide financial support if you are unable to work in substantial paid employment because you are providing full time daily care to someone with a severe disability, medical condition, or who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance is a supplementary payment for parents or carers who provide daily care to an adult or child who has a disability, medical condition or who is frail aged.

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one-off payment to help families adjust following a sudden accident where a child aged under 7 years is diagnosed with a severe illness, medical condition or major disability. There is also the Child Disability Assistance Payment, an annual payment that helps parents with the cost of caring for a child with a disability.

The Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps parents and carers with the extra cost of educating children who cannot go to an appropriate state school on a daily basis because they have a disability or special health needs.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of government and community organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

MoneySmartThe MoneySmart website has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Teaching kids about money section on the MoneySmart website.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health situation.