Support for non-parent carers

We provide payments and services to non-parent carers, such as grandparents, who provide full time care for a child. 

News for Carers has now moved online. Subscribe to receive your news via a monthly email.

Payments to help non-parent carers

There are several payments to help non-parent carers who provide care to a child, including:

  • Child Care Benefit which helps cover long day care, family day care, occasional day care, outside school hour care, vacation care, pre-school, and kindergarten child care
  • Child Care Rebate which covers 50% of out of pocket child care expenses, up to a maximum amount per child per year, in addition to the Child Care Benefit
  • Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance which can help you meet the cost of approved child care by paying some of the 'gap fee' not covered by Child Care Benefit for the hours of care you need for approved activities such as job search, work, study or training
  • Grandparent Child Care Benefit, if you are a grandparent with primary care of your grandchild, you may be able to get extra help with child care fees. Grandparent Child Care Benefit covers the full cost of approved child care for up to 50 hours for each child per week. It is paid directly to your child care service provider
  • Family Tax Benefit which is available to help with the costs of raising or caring for children. It is made up of 2 parts - Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B. You may be eligible if you are a carer of a child, whether it is your birth child, grandchild, foster child or adopted child

Our online estimator helps you identify possible payment options for your family. You can also see how much Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit or Child Care Rebate you may be able to get.

Start the online

To help with the costs of caring for children who are orphans or unable to be cared for by their parents in certain circumstances, the Double Orphan Pension is available.

Grandparent advisers have been introduced in selected areas to support grandparents with full time caring responsibility for their grandchildren.

Payments to assist with health care

Carer Payment can provide financial support if you are unable to work in substantial paid employment because you are providing full-time care to someone with a severe disability, medical condition, or to someone who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance can also provide financial support if you are providing additional daily care and attention for someone with disability or severe medical condition. It isn’t income and assets tested, is not taxable and can be paid in addition to wages, Carer Payment or any other Centrelink payment.

There is support available for non-parent carers who look after a child with a severe disability or chronic medical illness. If you are already receiving Carer Payment or Carer Allowance, the Carer Supplement is an annual lump sum payment to assist carers with the costs of caring for a person with a disability or medical condition.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an annual payment that helps you with the costs of caring for a child with a disability.

The Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment to help families deal with the increased costs of caring for a child aged 7 years or younger who has had a sudden and severe illness or accident.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme can help carers of school aged students who cannot go to an appropriate state school on a daily basis because they have a disability or have special health needs.

Medicare services

The Australian Childhood Immunisation Register is a national register that records vaccinations given to children under 7 years of age.

The Child Dental Benefits Schedule provides access to benefits for basic dental services for children aged 2-17.

Having a Medicare Card may allow you to claim a benefit for services provided by your doctor and some health specialists, or access to free health services if your doctor bulk bills.

The Medicare Safety Net can provide financial assistance for costs for out of hospital medical services that attract a Medicare benefit.

The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Safety Net reduces the cost of prescription medicines for individuals and families once the PBS Safety Net threshold has been reached.

Child support for non-parent carers

If you provide care for a child and you are not the parent, you may be able to apply for a child support assessment to receive child support from one or both of the child’s parents. Examples of non-parent carers include legal guardians, grandparents or other family members. Read more about applying for child support as a non-parent carer.

If you pay or receive child support, you should make sure we know about your change of situation. Changes to your circumstances may affect the amount of child support you pay or receive. You can update your child support arrangement by using Child Support online accounts or calling 131 272. Read more about changes that affect your child support.

If your situation changes

You need tell us if your situation changes. This includes, for example, if the child you care for goes into respite care or hospital or needs less care. You can report changes to your income:

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful.

MoneySmartThe MoneySmart website has information to help you make the most of your money. Visit the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

This information was printed from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.