Employment Separation Certificates for employers

We may ask for information about someone who has left your employment, decreased their working hours or changed from full time to casual work. You may also get a request from an employee or former employee for an Employment Separation Certificate.

Employment Separation Certificates help ensure we pay people the right amount and from the correct date. You need to complete the certificate within 14 days of being asked.

Submit the certificate online

The easiest way to submit an Employment Separation Certificate is online. To do this you will need to register your business with us. If you are already registered for paid Parental Leave you do not have to register again.

For more information, or for assistance in completing your registration, please call us on 131 158.

Other ways to submit the certificate

Alternatively, you can fill out the certificate and hand it back to the employee or fax it to us on 132 115.

You can provide the information on the certificate or on your business letterhead. You, or a pay officer you have authorised, should sign the certificate. The information you provide is confidential. You should keep a copy for your own records.

Circumstances other than termination of employment

Sometimes you may be asked to complete a certificate in circumstances other than termination of employment; for example, after a decrease in working hours or a change from full time to casual work. You can use the Reason for separation box to provide additional information.

Copies of the certificate

To get copies of the certificate, you can either:

Freedom of Information and the certificate

All the information contained in, or attached to, the certificate may be released to any person under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

If you want any of this information treated in confidence, please attach a statement indicating which information, and give your reasons. This will be considered if a request is made under the law.

Page last updated: 27 January 2016

This information was printed Friday 26 August 2016 from humanservices.gov.au/business/enablers/employment-separation-certificates-employers It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at humanservices.gov.au/siteinformation when using this material.