Closure of Hunter River and Port Stephens Fisheries - September 2015 - Business Assistance Payment
Assistance for small businesses experiencing financial hardship as a direct result of the closure of the fisheries in the Hunter River and Port Stephens.
The Hunter River and Port Stephens fisheries will reopen on 1 October 2016. The financial assistance package for individuals and businesses experiencing financial hardship as a result of the closure of the fisheries in the Hunter River and Port Stephens is ending on 25 November 2016.
About the Business Assistance Payment
Provides eligible businesses with a single lump sum payment of $5000 to assist with immediate costs that would usually have been covered by income derived from the fisheries that were closed on 4 September 2015. The period in which affected businesses may claim for this payment has been extended to 25 November 2016. If you have already received the Business Assistance Payment you will not be eligible to receive this payment again.
The Business Assistance Payment is a taxable payment and is considered income for tax purposes. You should consult a tax professional or lawyer about how this payment may affect your tax.
A business may be eligible for the Business Assistance Payment if it:
- engages in commercial fishing, excluding oyster farming, in the closed fisheries
- has a registered ABN on or before 4 September 2015
- has an annual business turnover of less than $10 million per annum
- usually derives more than 50% of its business turnover from fishing in the closed fisheries, and
- can provide verifiable evidence that it has been involved in fishing in the closed fisheries or that it would have been involved if not for the closure
You are required to provide evidence to support your claim. You will need to demonstrate that your business relies upon income derived from the closed fisheries in the Hunter River and Port Stephens, or would have if not for the closure, and that more than 50% of business turnover comes from this activity.
More information about the evidence needed to support your claim is outlined in the Business Assistance Payment – Closure of Hunter River and Port Stephens Fisheries, September 2015 – claim form.
For more information about the Business Assistance Payment please call 180 23 22.
You can submit your claim in person, by post or fax.
You have up until 25 November 2016, to submit a claim for expenses incurred from 4 September 2015.
If you wish to make a claim, please:
- download and complete the Business Assistance Payment – Closure of Hunter River and Port Stephens Fisheries, September 2015 – claim form
- submit your claim, with supporting evidence:
- in person at your nearest service centre
- by post, sending to:
Department of Human Services
Reply Paid 7815
- by fax to 1300 727 760
Payments will be made directly into the nominated Australian financial institution account held in the name of the business submitting the claim.