Employer Reporting Service
Organisations can use our online services to receive and reply to certain requests for employee payroll information sent by the department, including the Request for employee information form (SU658) and the Request for further employee information form (SU659).
Many customers are entitled to receive a part allowance based on their circumstances, such as, they may be employed on a part-time or casual basis.
To keep the system fair, we must verify information to ensure that eligible people receive their correct payment and are paid on time. To do this we:
- ask our customers to advise any changes in their circumstances including income, so that adjustments can be made to their Centrelink payments
- verify customer payments by matching data with other government agencies including the Australian Taxation Office
- respond to information supplied by the public, and
- contact employers, financial institutions, real-estate agents, educational institutions, and other authorities to confirm current customer details
Your role as the employer
We may ask your organisation to complete forms that request certain payroll information for past or present employee(s) for a specific period, including the Request for employee information form (SU658) and the Request for further employee information form (SU659).
Request for employee information
How your organisation will receive the request
You will receive the Request for employee information form (SU658) and the Request for further employee information form (SU659) via your Centrelink Business Online Services account.
Once your organisation is registered for the Employer Reporting Service, you will no longer receive the Request for employee information form (SU658) and the Request for further employee information form (SU659) via a paper letter.
You will receive a notification to your organisation's nominated email address when a request is sent by the department, advising you to check your Organisational Online Mail through your organisation's Centrelink Business Online Services account.
Note: the Employer Reporting Service utilises the similar functionality to the Paid Parental Leave (PPL) service.
How your organisation can respond to the request
There are 2 new ways you can reply to the Request for employee information form (SU658) and/or a Request for further employee information form (SU659) when you are registered to use the Employer Reporting Service.
Manually responding to the request for employee information using a fillable HTML form, which lets you manually submit individual responses for each request for employee information.
Automating the returned response using an eXtensible Markup Language (XML) schema. The XML schema will allow your organisation to develop an automated response instead of creating a response manually (as in option 1). This means your organisation will be able to reply to a query about multiple employees and return the response via an automated batch XML file.
Option 2 may be of more interest to larger employers who receive multiple requests for employee information each year from the department.
The XML schema has been created using Standard Business Reporting (SBR) Taxonomy. The creation of an automated method of responding to these requests from the department will require sufficient IT expertise to:
- interpret and interrogate the XML Interface Specification document
- match the data requirements in the XML Interface Specifications with the data in your payroll system, and
- create a process that will generate an XML response to the department's request that meets the format required in the XML Interface Specification document
If you would like a copy of the XML Interface Specification document or have any further queries regarding this, please call the National Business Gateway in the first instance on 131 158.