2016–17 Budget information that may affect people who access the payments and services of the Department of Human Services.
The 2016–17 Budget was handed down on Tuesday 3 May 2016.
This page contains Budget information that may affect people who use the Department of Human Services programs—Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support.
Budget measures are subject to passage of legislation. Updates may occur regularly, so you should continue to check for any new information that might be of interest.
You can also visit the Australian Government Budget website for more information about the 2016–17 Budget.
Budget measures – by category
- Disability and carers
- Health matters and health professionals
- Improving services
- Indigenous Australians
- Job seekers
- Migrants, refugees and visitors
- Other payments and services
- Rural and remote
- Welfare payment reform
- Young people and students
- Aged Care Provider Funding - further revision of the Aged Care Funding Instrument
- Aged Care Provider Funding – improving the targeting of the viability supplement for regional aged care facilities
- A Streamlined Pathway to Permanent Residence for New Zealand Citizens
- Cashless Debit Card – third trial site
- Child and Adult Public Dental Scheme
- Closure of Hunter River and Port Stephens Fisheries – assistance to individuals and businesses - extension
- Compulsory Rent Deduction Scheme - establishment
- Department of Veterans' Affairs – business case for veteran centric reform
- Disability Support Pension - amending portability rules for para-athletes preparing for the Paralympic Games
- Healthier Medicare – removing obsolete services from the Medicare Benefits Schedule
- Healthier Medicare – trial of health care homes
- Job Commitment Bonus – cessation
- Jobs for Families Package – deferred implementation
- Medicare Benefits Schedule and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme Data - efficiencies
- Medicare Benefits Schedule – listing of photography with non-mydriatic retinal cameras
- Medicare Benefits Schedule – Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the breast
- Medicare Benefits Schedule - new and amended listings
- Medicare Benefits Schedule – pause indexation
- Mobility Allowance
- myGov operations
- National Disability Insurance Scheme Savings Fund – abolish the Energy Supplement for all new recipients
- National Disability Insurance Scheme Savings Fund – Medical risk based review of current DSP recipients
- National Disability Insurance Scheme Savings Fund – remove Carer Allowance backdating provisions
- National Disability Insurance Scheme Savings Fund – Single Income Family Supplement cessation for new customers
- Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme – new and amended listings
- Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme – new and amended listings – Hepatitis C medicines
- Quality Improvement in General Practice – simplification of the Practice Incentives Program
- Simplifying Student Payments – Simplify means testing for student payments
- Simplifying Student Payments – Simplify the eligibility for the Health Care Card for students
- Simplifying Student Payments – Update the reference to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification document for independence criteria and Relocation Scholarships (without grandfathering)
- Youth Jobs PaTH – Prepare – Trial – Hire
Portfolio Budget Statements
Information about the Department of Human Services Budget can be found in the following Budget statements.