Who we’re looking for - Indigenous Apprenticeships Programme
We’re looking for enthusiastic, motivated Indigenous Australians with an interest in contributing to the Australian Public Service.
We are looking for:
- people who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian
- school leavers, mature age candidates and people with disability
- people with strong initiative and willingness to learn
- people interested in contributing to services offered to Australians
- applicants with an interest in working in the Australian Public Service
Some of the duties you will do may include:
- drafting correspondence
- assisting with administrative tasks
- travel management
- responding to customer queries
- drafting documents
To apply for an apprenticeship you must:
- provide evidence of your Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian heritage
- be an Australian citizen at time of application
There are no minimum qualifications required – but a year 10 certificate would be preferred.
You cannot apply if:
- you don’t identify as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian
- you have received a redundancy benefit or incentive to retire payment from an Australian Public Service (APS) agency or the Australian Parliamentary Service unless you have served the applicable redundancy benefit restriction period
- you do not have Australian citizenship at the time of application
Meet current apprentices
There are apprentices throughout the government working in a range of areas. In 2015, over 200 Indigenous apprentices commenced the Indigenous Apprenticeships Programme (IAP).